chapter 22: New York

It was the week they've all been waiting for. New York. Nationals. The Glee Club arrived in JFK, and before they had to check in to the hotel, they decided to grab lunch in Times Square. Violet was excited and nervous about a lot of things. Also, it was weird –a good weird– seeing all of her friends in New York with her. It was like two worlds were colliding.

Violet was sitting on some steps in Times Square eating some shawarma over rice from her favorite food truck, Halal Guys. She was sitting next to Sam, and they were just enjoying the energy from the city.

"So, did your mom ever respond to your text?" It's been a week since Violet sent her mother a text message inviting her to come to their Nationals performance.

She shook her head and showed him the text conversation, "Looks like she read it, but she hasn't responded. Honestly, I'm too worried about my audition and Nationals to even think about my mother right now. I mean we don't even have a song written for Nationals yet, let alone choreography that everyone's learned." Violet started rambling until Sam grabbed her hand.

"Hey, everything will be okay. You've come up with a lot of choreography ideas that we've been over during booty camp. You're prepared for your audition. Everything's gonna turn out the way it's supposed to, okay?" Violet's brown eyes looked into his green ones, and she nodded.

Kurt then started reflecting out loud, "A year and a half ago, the New Directions were nothing but a group of six misfits stumbling their way through a horrific rendition of 'Sit Down, You're Rockin' the Boat.' Now, here we are at the top of the show choir heap. Nationals!" Everyone then began listing off everything that they wanted to do.

"I want to hit up Central Park, get my frolic on," Tina looked back at Mike and they both smiled at each other.

Puck ruined the moment though, "I want to throw stuff off the Brooklyn Bridge."

Finn, who was leaning against a statue, brought everyone down from their New York dream state, "You guys, hold on. I mean, we still have two songs to write."

Violet nodded, "Yeah if we have any chance of even placing at Nationals, we need to buckle down and write these songs quick."

"Okay, Bossy Pants

"Okay, Bossy Pants." Kurt looked at both Finn and Violet, but then addressed the entire group, "But I think we might have some time for a tune before we leave. Start spreading the news." He then elbowed Violet's knee, trying to get her to join.

More of the group started to sing, "I'm leaving today." Sam even started to sing in an impression which made her giggle, so she joined the group, "I want to be a part of it. New York, New York..."

Rachel then approached the group with a smug smile painted across her face, "Guys, I have news. To celebrate our impending win at Nationals. I got us all 14 tickets to Broadway's longest-running show ever... Cats."