chapter 73: Puppet Master

I'm so good at crashing in
Making sparks and shit but then
I'm a bad, I'm a bad,
I'm a bad friend
So don't ask me
where I've been
Been avoiding everything

~Rina Sawayama, Bad Friend

"So am I getting a solo?" Kitty half-jokingly asked Violet as they were all waiting for Mr

"So am I getting a solo?" Kitty half-jokingly asked Violet as they were all waiting for Mr. Schue to come in and start Glee.

Some of the New Directions members were talking with Violet. Some of the others were just messing around before Glee as per usual. The ones surrounding Violet were talking about Nationals and what her plans were since she's mostly been experimenting in booty camp. They didn't have the slightest inclination of which direction they would go.

Unique raised her hand enthusiastically, "If she's getting a solo, then I'm getting a solo!"

"Hey, hey, hey. If any of us should get a solo, it's the senior over here," Tina pointed to herself playfully.

Violet knew that all of the girls were just joking at the end of the day. They've all become less cut-throat compared to the beginning of this year, but she still rolled her eyes regardless.

"I told you guys that I want to figure out the realm of what we're doing first before I figure out all of the details because we need cohesion. I have all of these different combinations of sample sets that we could do, and I'm still trying to figure out what's best for us. It's just harder this year because we're not really operating on a theme," Violet explained.

"At least we don't have to deal with ⅓ vintage like last year," Tina pointed out.

Violet chuckled, "That is true."

"So where are you with picking out set lists? Do you have any that you're leaning towards or that Mr. Schue's leaning towards?" Unique asked.

Vi sighed, "Mr. Schue says that they're all good options, and he's deferring to my judgement, but... I don't know. None of them seem right, and I don't know why. I just feel like we're missing something–"

Blaine then enters the room, trying to capture the rowdy group's attention, "Hey, um, guys! Guys... New Directions! New Directions! Guys! Hey!"

Once the group quieted down for Blaine, he proceeded to tell them, "I just ran into Mr. Schue, and he's gonna be stuck in his classroom for the rest of the afternoon because of some school board inspection thing–"

Violet snickered, "Of course he's being inspected by the school board."

"–But he still wanted us to meet so we can start working out ideas for Nationals."

Violet interrupted him, "Like what I've been doing?"

"Well, he just wants us to help you out. We can show you what we want, and maybe that'll give you more direction," Blaine tried to explain.