chapter 76: Trio

I like shiny things,
but I'd marry you with paper rings.
Uh-huh, that's right, darlin'
You're the one I want.
And I hate accidents
except when we went
from friends to this.
Uh-huh, that's right, darlin'
You're the one I want.

~Taylor Swift, Paper Rings

Violet was walking down the McKinely hallways that Monday morning when she got a call from an unexpected person

"Rachel?" Violet questioned. "What's up? You never call me."

"I know, I know, but since we've decided to become better friends after your New York trip, I thought that I could talk to you about this since I feel like everyone else has betrayed me!" Rachel told dramatically.

"Woah, slow down. What happened?" Violet asked confusedly, figuring that this had something to do with Santana auditioning for Rachel's understudy.

Rachel explained, "Santana auditioned to be my understudy behind my back, and she won't admit what she did wrong. Hell, she's even my understudy now."

"But why's that so bad, Rachel? I was always friends with my understudies."

"It's bad because she really only succeeds if I get hurt or sick or something like that, and that's been the story for as long as I can remember. She always has to put me down, so she can succeed, and I'm done! Kurt took her side, so I moved out."

Violet sighed, massaging her temple, "And you have a place to live?"

"Of course. Thankfully, Elliot let me stay in his apartment in the meantime, but I just can't believe that they would both betray me like that. But I guess you were right when you talked about how there are a lot of fake people in New York," Rachel complained.

"I mean I don't think I said it like that–"

"I actually thought that Santana was my friend, but now I realize that that was all crap. Life is just high school, isn't it? I'm just glad that I can at least talk to you about it because I can't even trust Kurt because he took her side."

Violet pointed out, "To be clear, I'm not taking your side."

"What?"

Violet sighed, "I think that this is just a gigantic misunderstanding right now, and I don't think that adding me into the mix will make it any better. All I have to say is that I think both of you have grown past high school, and now that you're coworkers, you have to mature and be cordial with each other."

"Exactly. So I'm just going to ignore her as much as I can because she's not worth it. I'm the bigger person, so I'm just going to act professional and not even look at her if I have to," Rachel huffed.