chapter 62: Shooting Star pt. 2

Just stop your crying,
have the time of your life.
Breaking through the atmosphere,
and things are pretty good from here.
Remember everything will be alright.
We can meet again somewhere.
Somewhere far away from here.

~Harry Styles, Sign of the Times

TW: mentions of the school shooting, blood, death, suicide --> let me know if you want a summary of the plot if this is too much!!

"Becky, how are you going to convince Brittany to stay?" Violet persisted.

Becky reached into her backpack and pulled out a gun which made the taller girl's eyes widen in fear.

"Becky..." Violet's voice trailed off as she slowly backed away from the smaller girl.

"I thought that my dad's gun would scare Brittany enough so she wouldn't want to graduate. I want her to stay here with me. I– I'm not going to hurt her, but... I don't think that this is a good idea anymore," the younger girl said with a wavering voice.

Violet nodded slowly, "I'm glad that you recognize that, Becky. It wasn't a great idea to try and intimidate Brittany, but we all make mistakes, right?"

"I- I just don't know what to do," Becky started to wave the gun haphazardly which made Vi's breath hitch.

"Becky, drop the gun."

"I– I... Am I going to get in trouble?"

"Becky, drop the gun," Violet said as her anxiety started to rise.

"Violet, please. This was a mistake!"

"BECKY, DROP THE GUN!" Violet accidentally screamed out, scaring Becky, causing her to juggle the pistol in her hand. It went off once before it hit the ground, shooting another bullet when doing so.

Becky screamed in terror as Violet dropped to the ground.

Violet's breath was shaky as she reached her right hand to graze over the burning feeling on her left arm before moving it to her right thigh where she felt blood soak through her jeans.

"I'm sorry!" Becky cried out. Before she could take a step closer, Violet stopped her with her voice.

"Becky, go find Sue. Tell no one. Got it?"

"But–"

Violet repeated herself firmly, "Becky. Find Sue. Talk to no one."

Becky then quickly sprinted as fast as she could to Sue's office, leaving Violet lying on the ground of a secluded corridor.

"Breathe, Violet. Breathe. You're in survival mode. This isn't the time for a panic attack. Just focus."

§    §    §