Chapter Twenty-Four-

Scorchflower looked around at the gathered cats. They watched her expectantly.

"Deathstar is feeling better, Doveclaw gave her some catmint." Scorchflower announced. Sighs of relief came from the clan. Scorchflower caught the eye of Fallenleaf. She felt heat rise in her, and she had to look away. "Freezeherb is getting some more from the border, so Deathstar should recover from greencough soon!"

The clan dispersed, grouping into small patrols to go hunt. Scorchflower leaped down, trotting over to Fallenleaf. He was waiting.

"Scorchflower, I want to talk to you." He kept his head down, seeming embarrassed. Scorchflower perked her ears, and nodded.

"Okay. The forest?" She asked. He stood up, and waited for her to follow him before going out of camp.

"It's so beautiful out here." Scorchflower purred once they had come to the original CloudClan territory. The Moors. Green, grassy hills rolled out in front of them. The blue sky held fluffy white clouds and the sun. Fallenleaf kept his eyes on Scorchflower. She glanced at him.

"Anyways, what did you want to talk about?" Scorchflower asked. He looked out over the hills. The wind ruffled both of their fur.

"You're so beautiful." He turned back to Scorchflower, his eyes full of admiration. Embarrassment flooded over Scorchflower. She didn't move. "This scenery can't compare."

"Thanks, Fallenleaf." Scorchflower purred. He looked relieved.

"I.....I think I'm in love with you." He admitted in a rush. Scorchflower whipped her head around to face him, her eyes wide. Excitement whirled inside her. She opened her jaws to say something, but nothing came out.

"I know medicine cats can't have kits, but I can't hide my feelings any longer. Ever since I saw you at the Moon Tree, I knew I loved you. I interrupted any moment Blackfang might have had with you because I couldn't bear to see you with someone else. And to think he did something like he did..." Fallenleaf trailed off, his voice angry. "It's unforgivable. But, since he's gone, I had to tell you. I don't know how you feel about me, but, I do love you."

"Fallenleaf...." Scorchflower sighed. "I love you too. Ever since I was an apprentice. But I knew you were a medicine cat."

"I don't care about my medicine cat duties as long as you're with me. I could quit being one, or you could become one....or..." he looked away, eyes clouded. Scorchflower rested her tail on his shoulders.

"You and I both know you can't quit, and I can't quit. What if we just kept it secret?" Scorchflower suggested quietly. Fallenleaf looked back at her, eyes wide.

"What if you end up having..." he left the question unfinished, embarrassment radiating off him in waves. Scorchflower didn't move.

"So what? I don't have to say the father." Scorchflower blinked. Fallenleaf rubbed his muzzle on her shoulder, his neck bent down. She purred, and he returned it. He pulled away, and opened his jaws. Just as he was about to say something, an earpiercing screech filled the air. Scorchflower immediately charged for the source, in the old LeafClan territory. Fallenleaf was hard on her paws. Another, softer, one came. She pushed faster, finally reaching the forest.

Her claws extended, Scorchflower hurtled through the undergrowth, emerging on the other side to see a body. A white body, stained red in places, long claw marks scored on the side. It's sightless blue eyes open wide in fear. The jaws parted wit teeth bared in a last snarl, claws extended in a last try to escape. Fallenleaf cried out, and stumbled over to the body. His yowl filled the air.

"DOVECLAW!"