Chapter Six-

*Following Willowswipe*

Willowswipe watched the big rock and Ravenstar. For the first time, Willowswipe realized how old Ravenstar was. Gray was on her muzzle, almost completely covering it. Her eyes were dull, and her movements unsteady.

"Are you sure you want to move to the elder's den?" Ravenstar croaked at Silverclaw. He had some gray too.

"Yes." Silverclaw replied flatly.

"Then by the powers given to me as leader of Stormclan, I move you to the elders den, and the clan respects your many moon's of service, as we hope you have many moons of peaceful rest." Ravenstar looked sad at her deputy's decision, and her eyes held something that was secretive.

"Silverclaw! Silverclaw! Silverclaw! Silverclaw!" The clan cheered, and Silverclaw went to sit next to the elders den. The den now had a purpose, it hadn't been used since Swiftclaw went to Starclan. Everyone turned their gaze back on the leader.

"As we all know," Ravenstar broke off with a cough. "I have to appoint a new deputy by moonhigh. I need time to talk it out with some of my senior warriors. Clan meeting dismissed."

She bounded off the rock, and fell on her side. Everyone went to her side when she didn't get up.

"Ravenstar? Are you okay?" Petalfur asked with worry for her sister. "Get Echoherb!"

"I'm here!" Echoherb pushed past the worried clanmates, and stood next to the fallen Ravenstar. Her breathing was shallow, and her leg was bent at an awkward angle. "You broke your leg."

"Get me to my den, and bring Nightswipe, Willowswipe, Silverclaw, and Thunderspark." Ravenstar rasped.

"Thunderspark and Willowswipe, carry her to her den. Be careful." Echoherb warned before charging to her own den. Willowswipe and Thunderspark got on either side of Ravenstar, and lifted her off the ground. She laid sprawled on their backs, head dangling.

"Ravenstar needs to speak with you and a few other warriors. Can you make it to her den?" Echoherb asked Nightswipe when she entered. He jumped up and once He saw who was there, let his full lie flat.

"What about?" Nightswipe asked. Echoherb shook her head.

"I am not in the place to tell you." Echoherb let Nightswipe lean on her as they padded out of the den. The others were already in Ravenstar's den.

"Come on, let's get you to lay down." Willowswipe coaxed Nightswipe to lay down in the den. Ravenstar was in her bed, her breathing even more shallow. Silverclaw was on her right, Thunderspark on her right, Willowswipe and Nightswipe at the mouth of the den so they could feel the breeze, and Echoherb was sitting in front of Ravenstar with her tail draped over her paws.

"I-i need a new deputy and a new leader for the clan. Starclan is calling me, I fear I won't last the night." Ravenstar croaked. Thunderspark bristled.

"You aren't leaving. You're going to be healthy, you have three lives left." Thunderspark growled. Ravenstar looked away from his piercing gaze.

"I'm on my last life....I lied to you and the clan. That is What you must do to not have chaos. I only told Echoherb." Ravenstar was getting weaker. She struggled to her paws, and stood in front of Nightswipe. "I say these words in front of these witnesses, so they and Starclan may approve my choice. Nightswipe will be the new deputy, and the new leader of Stormclan. May he accept his duty, and I know He will help my clan."

Ravenstar fell over, panting. Her eyes were glazed, and her breaths were short gasps. Thunderspark pressed his nose in her fur, and the others followed suit as the last breath left her body.