Chapter Fifteen-

*Following Nightstar*

"Willowswipe!" Nightstar called. The rest of the patrol echoed the call. Nightstar tested the next step, it crumbled, and he jumped back. The crumbling landed so in a way it was a step down to a ledge. The water was splashing over the edge, making a slippery surface.

"Be careful on the way down." Nightstar warned. He started down, placing his paws down carefully. He took a glance back at his patrol, they seemed to be worried. Do they doubt we will find her? Nightstar pondered the idea. He shook his head and kept walking. They were now as close to the water as they would get, and they could barely put their paws in a line. Bloodfire slipped, and his paw went over the edge. He scrambled to pull it back up, successfully swinging the rest of his back side off the ledge.

"Help!" Bloodfire yelped, and Thunderspark bit down on his scruff, and pulled his back up. Water had splashed up to his shoulders, drenching him. A little crevice up ahead expanded the ledge for a short length. Bloodfire sat there and licked his fur dry while the others continued. Nightstar picked up a faint cat scent.

"Look out for her, I smell something." Nightstar announced, and raised his head to the sky, sniffing. The scent picked up, and Nightstar saw a small opening in the side of the gorge. He started to pick up his pace.

Nightstar slid to a stop as he reached the mouth. She's in here. Nightstar didn't hesitate before going inside.

"Wait!" Scarear called, but Nightstar ignored his call. Nightstar stopped moving when he saw her brown and gray body. Still. He kneeled next to her body and pressed his nose in her fur. Still warm. Is that.....is that a heartbeat? Hope flared in Nightstar. He grabbed her scruff softly, and pulled her as far off the ground as he could. Her back legs drug on the ground as he pulled her towards the entrance. The rest of the patrol was waiting.

Thunderspark's eyes glittered with relief mixed with worry. The rest of the patrol just looked relieved.

"Is she okay?" Scarear asked.

"I hink ho." Nightstar mumbled around Willowswipe's fur. Scarear tipped her head.

"I think so? Is that what you said?" Scarear sniffed. Nightstar rolled his eyes and nodded. The patrol headed back, Nightstar behind the rest, being as careful as possible with Willowswipe. Her breathing was slow, and her front leg was bent at a weird angle. She whimpered as she hit a rock, making Nightstar wince. He slowed further, crawling up the steps as the patrol was at least five foxlengths ahead of him. The water had sprayed on his side, soaking him. Just a little further. I won't risk moving her all the way to camp. Nightstar reached the top of the cliff, tired, but didn't stop.

The patrol was waiting, watching as Nightstar hauled himself up onto the grass, then pulled Willowswipe up. She was on her side, stomach risen more than her chest was rising.

"Go get Echoherb, and find a lot of moss please. She won't be moved to camp until she can walk." Nightstar meowed before grasping Willowswipe's scruff again. Bloodfire, Thunderspark, and Redtail charged towards camp. Scarear helped Nightstar pull Willowswipe towards the edge of the clearing. Nightstar started to lick her fur, drying her. Scarear stayed away, looking at the scene around them. Tinyclaw, Honeyfur from Leafclan, and Barkstorm were the only cats that had died. Blood stained some of the ground, and there were some fur tufts on the ground. Once Nightstar had finished drying Willowswipe's fur, he pressed himself next to her, startled at the cold that was held in her fur. He looked at the sky. It was a deep pink/orange, and a few clouds dotted the sky. The sun was sinking below the horizon, and the moon gleamed brightly in the sky. He pressed his nose in her fur, and breathed in her sweet scent. The cats who left came back just as his eyes closed, and the darkness consumed him.