Chapter One-

*Following Willowkit*

"Willowkit! Get over here!" Skytail called from the nursery. Willowkit paused in her scuffle with Wolfkit, and that moment of hesitation allowed Wolfkit to pounce on her.

"Get off Wolfkit!" Willowkit complained. Wolfkit didn't move.

"Only if you surrender." Wolfkit mewed. Willowkit nipped his tail, and he jumped up. "Ow!"

"Next time, listen to me." Willowkit snapped, and shook the dust out of her pelt. She stormed off to where Skytail was sunning herself by the freshkill pile. Willowkit sprayed dust behind her in Wolfkit's face. Skytail let out a mroww of amusement when Wolfkit sneezed.

"What do you need, Skytail?" Willowkit asked. Skytail tilted her head.

"I dont need anything. I was wondering if you and Wolfkit would like to do some battle moves with Sharpnose."

"Yes!!" Willowkit and Wolfkit yowled at the same time. They started to circle each other.

"Well then come on you lumps of fur!" Sharpnose came around from the other side of the freshkill pile, making Willowkit jump. Sharpnose padded to the kit training center. Willowkit and Wolfkit followed happily.

"Sit down kits." Sharpnose instructed. They sat. She curled her tail around her paws and fixed her sharp gaze on them. "Battle or hunt?"

"Battle!"

"Hunt!" They looked at each other. Willowkit wanted to fight, Wolfkit wanted to hunt. Willowkit pulled her ears back.

"You've got to be kidding. Even Goldenkit would want to fight." Willowkit meowed in disgust. Wolfkit growled.

"Hunting keeps warriors strong so they can fight, mousebrain!" Wolfkit flicked his tail angrily.

"Without fighting skills, you could lose the prey you worked so hard to catch. You could lose the most plump vole in the forest to a kittypet if you don't have battle skills." Willowkit pointed out. Sharpnose was watching with amusement glittering in her eyes. Wolfkit was just about to spit something back, but Sharpnose stuck her paw out in from of them.

"You are both right. You need hunting skills-" Wolfkit puffed out his chest triumphantly. "-but you need battle skills more."

"Told ya." Willowkit hissed. Wolfkit glared at her, then looked back at Sharpnose.

"Let's begin. Willowkit, jump at Wolfkit. Wolfkit, see if you can anticipate any of her moves." Sharpnose watched as Willowkit launched herself at Wolfkit, who was caught by surprise. They tumbled to the ground in a mass of fur and teeth. No claws, even the newest kit knew that. Willowkit was bigger than Wolfkit, giving her an advantage. She feigned being hurt.

"Willowkit, are you okay?" Wolfkit's voice was laced with worry. Willowkit tightened her muscles and sprung forward, pinning Wolfkit to the ground.

"Good. You can release him." Sharpnose stood. Her tail lay on the ground. Willowkit pushed herself off Wolfkit, and dusted herself off.

"I need a real challenge." Willowkit complained, drawing a paw over her ear. Sharpnose licked Wolfkit's head. He struggled to get away, but her paws held him in place.

"Willowkit, you want a challenge? Go attack Nightkit." Sharpnose meowed. Willowkit immediately hopped up, and performed a perfect hunting crouch. She started to slither on her belly towards the eating Nightkit. He was completely unaware she was only a mouselength away. The mouse he was chewing was already half gone.

She stopped moving, only a whisker length from his tail. Then she jumped. Her legs pushed off the ground, and she landed square on his shoulders, making his face get smooshed into the mouse. Laughter erupted amongst the watching cats. Nightkit arched his back and Willowkit went tumbling off, allowing Nightkit to jump on her, pinning her to the ground. His black ears were pinned back, and amusement was in his eyes, but he tried to be scary.

"I'm a big bad fox, and now I'm hungry. You've ruined my meal, little kit." He licked his lips, and Willowkit squealed.

"Let me go you fox!" She spat. She squirmed beneath him. He leaned down, and licked her on the ear.

"You're not my for my taste, too sweet." He let his grip loosen. Willowkit pushed him off, and dug her claws into his back, purring as he struggled to throw her off. He was running around in circles, then Wolfkit jumped in front of him.

"Warriors! Look!" Wolfkit bounced on his paws as a few warriors came bursting through the entrance. Silverclaw was in the lead, with Petalfur, Redtail, and Featherwisp behind him. They were all panting for breath.

"Leaf....clan....attacked us....at border....lost....Hushedwater....." Silverclaw panted. "Coming....here..."

"What?" Ravenstar emerged from her den in the dip at the edge of camp, with Thunderspark behind here. "Are they following you?"

"From what I can tell....yes. I wanted to warn you first." Silverclaw's voice was getting stronger and stronger. He jumped up on the high rock next to him, and called out.

"Let all cats old enough to hunt gather below the big rock!" Silverclaw called out. Ravenstar glared at him, and her tail flicked back and forth with anger.

"Skytail, get the Kits inside. Now." Ravenstar ordered. Willowkit and Nightkit were sitting side by side in front of the nursery.

"Willowkit, Nightkit, Come on. We need to get inside." Skytail rounded them up. The others were already inside. Willowkit didn't move.

"No. I want to listen." Willowkit complained. Nightkit nodded.

"Same. I'm five moons old. I should be allowed to listen." Nightkit scooted closer to Willowkit. Skytail nosed them towards the nursery, and they stumbled in.

"Cover for me." Willowkit whispered in Nightkit's ear. Nightkit nodded.

"Of course." He replied. Willowkit backed up, and dashed out of the large nursery. She sat in the Shade behind it, almost invisible.

"-coming here now. We need lines of defense, we need to have a plan." Silverclaw was perched on top of the big rock, shoulders forward. "We can defeat them if we-"

Many cats burst through the clearing, snarling. A gray she-cat jumped at the Cat nearest to Willowkit, Ashcoat. They fought with claws out, biting at each other's throats. Then the clearing erupted into chaos.