Heartbeat

This will be a bit sad. I love you all hehehe

The smell of disinfectant filled Seokjin's nostrils as his eyes roamed the white walls and tiled floors. He was thankful that the rolling of the wheelchair was smooth against the floor. A young man caught his eyes when he looked at the window. He was seated on a bench surrounded with flowers with a sketchbook on his hand. There was a second of eye contact before the raven-haired boy looked away.

"I believe he's almost the same age as you, honey," the female nurse said when he caught Seokjin staring at the boy. "He's been here for a long time. Quite the trouble maker but he's a good kid at heart. Maybe you'll be friends here during your stay." The nurse smiled sweetly as she guided him to his designated room

The last words pinched Seokjin's heart. It was only his first day at the hospital yet everything seemed like imprisonment.

Seokjin made himself comfortable on his bed after his parents bid him goodbye. It was a word he swore he'll never tell again because goodbyes are like a life sentence for him. "How ironic," he thought. "Most people who say goodbye are the ones who are certain or almost certain that they'll see each other again and people always take it for granted."

His parents left him lots of books to read to pass the boredom and even plead the doctor to allow them to bring a radio at the next visit so he could listen to some music. "Call the nurse if you need anything, Jinnie. I already left our landline number at their desk," his mother said before kissing his forehead. Seokjin closed his eyes as he felt his mother's touch. It might be the last time he'll feel it.

Seokjin was reading a book when a loud knock on the door echoed through the room. He didn't have the time to speak when the door burst open and a young man with black hair, doe eyes, and bunny smile walked inside the room like he owned it. Seokjin watched in full curiousity as the young man offered his hand for a handshake.

"Finally! I can say that the Lord still loves me!" Seokjin's brows rosed two-fold. "Thank God there's someone here in my age. I mean I'm not happy that you're hospitalized or in a poor health condition but I'm happy that I have a companion with the same age."

Seokjin was surprised when the boy sat beside him on the bed. "You know, it gets boring here and I am tired of playing chess with grandpa Jong almost every other day, watch auntie Kim knit her nth scarf. Gosh, I already have a dozen. I'll give some to you later. I feel like I'm gonna pass out if I'll ever hear uncle Han teach me how to flirt at the female nurses."

Seokjin didn't know what to say. A few minutes ago he was enjoying his book and now there's a stranger wearing the same hospital pajamas sitting beside him who won't stop talking. "That must be boring," Seokjin said. He jumped when the raven-haired boy slapped his own thigh.

"It is! Imagine pretending you're asleep most of the time so they won't bother you only to have them panic and cry at the nurse saying I already ascended to heaven! I might have sooner if they continue doing that." Seokjin couldn't help but laugh.

"Ah finally, you laughed." The young man gave him a bunny grin. "I am Jeon Jungkook by the way. My room is just 3 doors away from the room in front of yours." Jungkook stood in front of Seokjin and imitated the bow of a prince. Seokjin giggled. Maybe his stay won't be that boring.

"I am Kim Seokjin. Nice to meet you, Jungkook."

"I already know your name. The nurse who guide you earlier, Mrs. Ji, told me about you a week ago. I was really excited, you kno-"

"Jeon Jungkook!" The familiar voice of  nurse Ji echoed through the halls of the small hospital. Jungkook flinched at the loud voice. He smiled sheepishly at Seokjin as he scratched his nape. "Well that was not a very nice first impression but believe me I am a good person. I'm not supposed to roam around this time."