Pinky Promise (Part 1)

For Jungkook, promises should never be broken. It's a sworn oath— something sacred, something that must always be kept intact no matter what happens. Will he make adjustments if he knew his favorite hyung broke one? Seokjin will know that breaking a promise comes with a grave consequence.

"Kookie, are you listening to me?" Seokjin's warm tone had seem to interrupt Jungkook from his midday dreaming when the latter flinched a little and looked at Seokjin with his big and startled eyes. "You keep on zoning out," Seokjin said.

"I'm sorry, hyung. I was thinking about something. What did you say again?" Jungkook asked as he smiled apologetically, slowing down his pace to  match Seokjin's strides.

Seokjin gave him a concerned look. Jungkook had been silent all the way from school. Usually, the walk home is filled with Seokjin's glorious broadcasts about his university's events while Jungkook would just nod, laugh, or giggle at whatever Seokjin was saying. Not that Jungkook was fully listening. Seokjin's expressions and mannerisms are more interesting than any school event he had talked about.

"Are you okay, Kookie?" Seokjin asked as he side-eyed the almost invisible small cut at the corner of Jungkook's lips.

"I am, hyung. Why did you ask?" Jungkook replied as he tightened his grip on the straps of his backpack and bit his inner cheek.

Seokjin squinted his eyes a bit. "The wound beside your lips is telling me that something isn't fine. It wasn't there this morning."

Jungkook flinched. "Ah, he knew me too well," he thought. That's one thing that's so endearing about his hyung and another thing that is difficult to bear because Seokjin knew him like the back of his hand and Jungkook knew that lying would always be useless.

"Ah, this. I tripped when-"

"You're not that clumsy, Kookie. Even if you trip on a hollow block, I think it'll be the one to break first," Seokjin teased with a fit of giggle. Jungkook averted his gaze at the pavement and bit his lip. "Ah, there's really no point in lying," he said to himself.

"I won't scold you. You know you can always explain first," Seokjin assured.

Jungkook took a deep breath. "Just got into a fight. Didn't know that an old friend of one of my classmates came to the university. Turns out he was my old classmate in high school," Jungkook said and paused briefly to take a glance at Seokjin to read his expression but the older just nodded and urged him to continue.

"You remember Han Jiyong? The person who I fought before and broke his arm? We saw each other again and things got kinda...ugly," Jungkook said.

"I remember that bastard. He was a bully, right? You should've broke his other arm too," Seokjin joked. Jungkook couldn't help but burst into laughter and Seokjin immediately felt at ease when the usual Jungkook is back.

"What did he say that had earned you a cut on your face? I'm amazed there's something that can graze your skin," Seokjin asked.

Jungkook snorted. "He had a huge ring on his finger when he punched me. I knew we will never be on good terms if we see each other again but he called me a monster and a fre-"

"Okay. Enough about that," Seokjin immediately interjected. He didn't bother to hear more of the story because he knew that that last word was a trigger to Jungkook.

"You should wear rings too. Ah no, no. Just wear brass knuckles the next time you punch that asshole. Come to think of it, Yoongi had one. You should've applied to my university instead so I could look after you. You're still a baby," Seokjin said.