File: Hit the Gas

It took Percy 2.5 seconds to realize that they were about to get into a car accident.

It took 1.5 seconds for him to notice that a large truck was barreling past a red light towards the passenger seat.

Jessica was in the passenger seat.

The demigod had his seatbelt on and was lunging for the girl before she even realized what was happening.

"Oh, my god-"

Rewind three hours before and Clint was getting four coffees at a gas station while Percy and Jessica waiting in the car. One was for him, the other for Jessica, and the last two for Percy. The son of Poseidon consumed so much caffeine, he could give Tony a run for his money.

Jessica became quieter and quieter the closer they got to Xavier's and, though he had been joking earlier, he thought she might actually miss them after they left. She still played Yellow Car with Percy, brave enough to punch him in the arm during their game, but it lacked the usual energy.

Percy was still acting the same except that he looked to be contemplating something every time he looked out the window. What is was, Clint couldn't tell you but he feared for his life and sanity. He kept glancing at Jessica, a mix of thoughtfulness and disgust on his face, but he had yet to say what ever was on his mind.

Clint was going to miss her. It was nice to see someone able to pull his best friend out of his shell and attempt to go toe-to-toe with him in a battle of wits. Lately, it was like all of Percy's struggles were catching up on him and he wasn't dumb enough to miss how the demigod was getting less and less sleep. He always helped everyone but himself and, sometimes, Clint wished he would just talk to him.

"Here." Clint got back in the truck, handing out the coffees, before getting back on the road. "We have about three and a half more hours to go. Should be fine, right?"

"You jinxed us," Percy and Jessica intoned together like the creepy twins they were becoming.

Clint jinxed them and now there was a large truck barreling towards them.

Fun.

Everything happened both in an instant and slow motion.

If Clint hadn't been attempting to move their car out of the way, he would have missed the amazing feat Percy managed to pull off.

Percy had lunged between the seats, one arm extended towards the windshield. In a burst of movement, water shot out from under the front of the truck, forcing the vehicle backwards fairly violently. Another wave of water wrapped around all three of them to keep them in place, some of it braced around their neck for stability.

The large truck went across from them in a blur.

They were all breathing heavily but were overall fine. Jessica's eyes were wide, her hands gripping the sides of her seat so tight, it looked one second away from breaking. Clint's hands were glued to the steering wheel, knuckles white, but he was already in the process of turning to the twelve year-old to make sure she was alright.

"Fuck." Percy leaned his head on the back of the passenger seat, arms wrapped around his midsection as his body pulsed with pain at the sudden summoning of large bodies of water. "Is everyone okay? The fuck was that dude thinking?"