chapter forty three

CHAPTER FORTY THREEgold rush

CHAPTER FORTY THREE
gold rush

-

The senior camping trip was something Natalie had been looking for since the beginning of her senior year. Being able to hang out with Justin, Clay, Tony, Zach, all of her friends. But things had been tricky lately.

Both Diego and Clay got suspended after the stunt they pulled on the night of the dance and it was a risk they wouldn't even be able to go on the trip.

"I think it's better Clay doesn't go." Natalie shrugs as she leans against the locker with Ani and Justin.

"Well why would you say that?" Ani asks in a confused tone.

"Every year on the senior camping trip, a big group from the football team singles out some poor kid and absolutely destroys him." Natalie says as she closes her locker.

"She's overplaying it, Ani. There's some stupid fucking legend about Brurnham Woods. Nobody believes it but they pull all this shit to freak kids out." Justin shook his head.

"I believe it. I mean one year, this kid pissed his pants." Natalie says but lowers her voice as Clay walks over to them.

"What were you three whispering about?" Clay asks in a defensive tone.

"Nothing." They all shake their heads. "How'd the meeting go?" Ani asks. But he walks past them with complete ignorance.

"I'll handle him." Ani nods and looks at the two. "I'll see you guys later." Justin and Natalie both nod and walk the other way.

"We still haven't talked about the dance." Justin mentions and Natalie shrugs.

"What's there to talk about?" Natalie says as they walk out to the lunch table and both sit down.

"It's been two weeks since you showed me off in front of the whole school, Nat." Justin looked over at her.

"It was a pretty fun night before anything went to shit." Natalie smiled over to him.

"It was a very fun night." Justin corrected. "I know you don't want to rush things and that is not what I'm trying to do. But come on, Natalie. It sucks not being able to call you mine."

"I know." Natalie nods at the ground. "You know people are gonna talk."

"Just like you told me last year, just let them." He grabbed her hand and gave it a quick squeeze.