chapter forty

CHAPTER FORTYbegin again

CHAPTER FORTY
begin again

-
DECEMBER 2018

Natalie was finally out of the hell hole that was supposed to help her. She spent two and a half weeks in a mental facility until the doctors cleared her safe to return to her normal life and school under certain circumstances.

It just so happened that at the same time, Justin was getting help in rehab for his substance abuse issues. They hadn't spoken since he took her to the hospital the night of her attempt. She hadn't spoken to anyone outside of her family and quite frankly she was terrified too.

Natalie was invited to Justin's welcome back party that Jess was throwing him but she knew that the only way she could stay alive was to stay away from the things that hurt her. And the people.

Natalie had hit rock bottom so one would imagine the only place you could go from here is up. It was Christmas time and it was the second holiday that year that Nora and Natalie would spend by themselves.

Nora knew what she had to do - she couldn't go back and save Bryce but she could save Natalie. Keep her one child alive and well.

Justin and Natalie were both on their way to getting better and once they got better, that's when they could finally open up to love each other again.

It was quite the story to write about in a college essay and she had been writing a lot of those. She had applied to UCLA, USD, Stanford as well as out of states like UOF, UNC, NYU, all with recommendations from Lainie Jensen for studying law.

Natalie knew that she had tried to end things but her fate wasn't like Hannah's and she could turn it around from here end she knew she could.

-

What Natalie didn't know is that while she was recovering from her attempt, Justin and Jessica had gotten surprisingly close for the month she was gone. So much so that she imagined when he returned from rehab that her and Justin would be together.

"Hey Jess." Justin smiled as he hugged her. "Thanks for doing all this." He said as he looked around to all the decorations

They chatted for a little bit as Lainie and Clay watched the interaction from across the room. "Do you know if Natalie's coming? I mentioned it at our college meeting yesterday but she never got back to me." Lainie explained.

"Yeah, I don't know. I think she just needs her time." Clay shrugged, nobody outside of the friend group knew that Natalie was on offs with most of her friends because of Bryce's death because if they did know, they would start assuming things.