chapter fifty

September 8, 2029
Raleigh, North Carolina

Madison Foley was everything everyone could've imagined her to be and more. She never lost her identical looks to Justin and Natalie was never going to let her forget where she came from.

Natalie finished law school only a short two years ago and had already risen up as one of the best prosecutors in the state with the help of many virtual lessons over it with Lainie Jensen and her team back home.

It took her a really long time to try to move on from Justin who would always own her heart. But when Clay sat her down the month before Madison turned 5 and told her that Justin would've wanted her to love, live and be happy. So she finally let someone in.

Zach took his duty of taking care of Natalie and Maddie very seriously and although he knew that Justin would always be the #1 love of her life but helping her with Maddie for five years and being her only living father figure and pretty much spending everyday just them, it really bonded them once again. And when she gave him a chance, he didn't let her regret it.

Zach began to teach at a local music studio which depended his passion for music. They decided to get married after she graduated law school despite her guilt. She wouldn't have done it if she didn't think it was the best idea. And it was the best idea. It made life much easier when she didn't feel like she was doing it by herself.

Natalie and Zach went onto have one more child to make Maddie feel less alone as they both cherished having good relationships with their siblings so now they also had a four year old daughter, Skyla Addison Dempsey who similar to her big sister, had a heart of gold with a passion for dance. But Skyla was Natalie's twin.

Nora Walker moved out to Raleigh to be closer to her daughter and granddaughter and after May graduated five years ago, Zach's mother also moved out to North Carolina. Clay stayed in Rhode Island as a video game designer and ended up marrying the sweet girl from the Evergreen graduation.

Jessica and Diego fixed their problems back in California and she was rising as a state politician with him by her side. Alex and Charlie stayed together, next door neighbors to Jessica and Diego since graduation. Only a few hours North, Ani was one of the topped rank professors at Stanford and colleges all over the country wanted her. Caleb gave the shop to Javi and moved to Nevada with Tony to begin their lives together. Estela worked for Jessica's office with her photographer husband, Tyler Down. Every single person in the friend group found out happiness was possible and they never let go of that friendship. They meant it when they said if they ever needed anything, they'd be there.

-

Natalie woke up earliest in the household per usual, the living room was filled with balloons for whenever Maddie woke up. She began to make breakfast after running to her precious jeep that was now 13 years old but she had a hard time letting go. She pulled the letter from Justin out from her center console. She put it in her pocket and put it on top of the presents.

Zach woke up as she finished up the pancakes, she handed him a coffee mug and a plate as he took a seat at the island. He yawned before he took a big chug of his coffee. "Thanks, Nat."

"I'm gonna go wake up the girls." Natalie said, giving Zach a kiss on the head as she walked over to the stairs.

"Man I was enjoying the peace and quiet." Zach chuckled causing her to give a slight eye roll.

She woke up her youngest first, who was a complete monster to wake up, very similar to Zach. Then she woke up the birthday girl. All morning, Maddie stared at her gifts begging to open them but she had to wait till everyone got to the party.

All of her friends from dance and school as well as her godmother, Jessica, Uncle Clay, Alex, Charlie, Diego, Estela, Tyler, Caleb, Tony, Scott, Chloe, The Jensen's, Nora and Karen all showed up. She had a lot of people that loved her. It was quite the occasion.

Maddie eagerly opened all her gifts from everyone, making sure to say thank you and show her gratitude to everybody. The last gift was a little white envelope, clearly torn and only Clay and Natalie what was in it. When she opened the envelope and saw who it was from, Maddie walked quickly out of the room causing confusion from everybody.

Natalie quickly followed her daughter to the room and saw her reading the letter on her bed. "Why have I never read this before?" Maddie looked up at Natalie.

"I didn't know if you were ready. I mean, I was never ready. But you had to know how much he loved you." Natalie said, sitting next to her daughter.

"I wish I would have been able to meet him." Maddie said as she leaned her head on her moms shoulder.

"He would've driven you absolutely crazy. But I hope similar to me, you still feel him around us." Natalie nodded.

"I do. And I'm glad I have Zach at least." Maddie shrugged as she wiped away a few tears that came from reading the letter.

"You're right about that. You're very lucky to have Zach. You're so lucky to have so many people that love you." Natalie ran her hands through her hair as they both notice Clay walk to the door.

"You guys okay?" Clay leans against the doorframe with his hands crossed.

"Yeah. Go ask Zach to start cutting the cake. I'll be right out." Natalie told Maddie who hugged her one more time before she ran out really quick.

"How'd she take it?" Clay asked as Natalie stood up to walk over to Clay.

"Really not that bad." Natalie shook her head as she leaned against the other side. "She's a good girl."

"Has a lot of Justin in her." Clay nods. "Man, I miss him."

"Me too." Natalie looks at the ground. "I think I'll see him out of this life though. I would've loved it if we made it together though."

"Like you said, we'll see him again one day." Clay nodded. "Let's go eat some cake."

Natalie looked around at Maddie's room, there was a picture of Justin and Natalie at Prom, the picture made her quite emotional but she was glad Maddie kept it. She took a deep breath as she blew a kiss up to the sky and went back out to the kitchen.

-

A/N : Just a small chapter to finish things out. There we go. And trust me, Justin and Natalie met in the afterlife and she loved him forever and ever. Can't believe this chapter is over. I want to thank you all again for the constant support. Feel free to check out all my other books!! I have a bunch of different 13 Reasons Why books and many other fandoms. We are almost to 2K votes on this story and I will always be checking up on this story, replying to comments. I love you all 🤍 And I love you, Natalie Walker

word count - 1248