chapter thirty one

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE"the last time

CHAPTER THIRTY ONE
"the last time."

Natalie heard her family landline ring and her mother quickly answered it. She listened to conversation a bit until the conversation of steroids. Her mother started to cry and Natalie made her way over, rubbing her back.

"Amara Josephine." Nora called. "They found blood on the ground. Somebody hurt my son."

Natalie also began to feel sad despite already having a gut feeling that someone hurt him. "Oh, dear God." The woman above her whispered to herself, sending Ani up the stairs quickly.

After her mother left to her room for the day, Natalie called Justin who seemed in a panic as he answered. "Hey, Nat."

"Hey, I'm sure you already heard but.." Natalie starts as she hears chatter on the other side of the phone so she paused for a second.

"I'll call you back, okay?" Justin offered and Natalie rolled her eyes, hanging up on him.

Natalie made her way up to her grandfathers room before she went to school, per a request of her mothers. "Hey Papa. How are you feeling today? Amara Josephine says you've not had much of an appetite."

"It's those West's Indies spices she puts in everything." The man rumbled, causing Natalie to chuckle.

"She's Kenyan, Papa. By way of the UK." Natalie crossed her arms. "I don't think she puts anything in your scrambled eggs."

"Natalie Marie, where's you're brother?" He asks causing Natalie's eyes to widen. "He hasn't been in to see me for days."

"He's just out. For a few days." Natalie shrugged as her grandfather rolled his eyes.

"Off drinking and causing trouble. Good for him. Boys need to blow off steam. Your mother is too hard on him. Boys need their wild time." Her grandfather ranted as she folded the blanket at the end of the bed.

"I'll be sure to remind mother of that." Natalie fake smiles.

"It's how he'll grow up to be a man." He starts once again causing Natalie to drip tears towards the back. "I remember being young in this house, raising holy hell. Just keep being our good girl and remind your brother to give him room to make his mistakes as a boy."

-

Natalie walked into school with eyes on her as usual. All the school talking about the cops being at school to check for Steroids. She comes across a poster. "MOURN THE SURVIVOR. NOT THE RAPIST. Protest Bryce Walker's Funeral - This Sunday 11/11."