chapter forty one

CHAPTER FORTY ONEwithout me

CHAPTER FORTY ONE
without me

-

Natalie filled out her tenth application in that week, this time to Duke. Filling out the same meaningless questions of names and ages and parental statuses as if that had anything to do with who Natalie Walker actually was.

It was dumb but the thought of college and a life other than the shit show she was living now. Natalie drove to school, ready for the Sanderson tour that the whole senior class was going on. Usually on field trips, Natalie goofed off with her friends until recently when she made the conclusion in her life that she struggled to have friends to goof off with.

Natalie stood in the line to get her bag checked, fiddling with her necklace as she saw a big crowd staring at the office doors. Justin stops her before she can see what they are staring at. "Don't freak out." He says and she feels her heart beefing faster.

She turns past his shoulder to see a 'Monty was framed.' in big letters drawn in red spray paint. She rolled her eyes before staring over at Jessica and Alex. She hated to admit it felt nice watching them panic. Natalie knew she was probably prime suspect on the groups list but she was done being afraid of them.

While everyone else was shaking in their boots, Natalie went through her first class with ease. She walked to the bus, last in line after being caught up talking to a teacher. Meaning she really had no choice on where she sat. The last available seat was right next to Zach.

"God damn it." Natalie rolled her eyes before slamming her body in the seat. He was half asleep but quickly realized who took a seat next to him.

"Natalie. This is a surprise." Zach's eyes widened.

"Well don't get used to it." Natalie says, smelling the alcohol on his breath and feeling a desperate tingle run through her body to feel something. But after getting better, she couldn't fall again.

"I know I can't say sorry enough, Natalie." Zach said as they both looked at the ground.

"Then don't" Natalie shrugged.

"It feels nice to talk to you again." Zach says lightly, Natalie's heart broke to see him so different then he used to be. He was unmotivated and you could tell on his face he was living for nothing.

"I guess it's better than talking to wannabe Bonnie and Clyde." Natalie threw one more glare back at Alex and Jessica for dramatic effect. "How's your family?"

"They're good. Same as usual. How's your mom?" Zach asked. They ended up talking for the rest of the thirty minute bus ride. It felt nice and she wanted to continue their conversation as they entered the second group of the admissions tour.