chapter ten

CHAPTER TENdisclaimer: talks of sexual assault

CHAPTER TEN
disclaimer: talks of sexual assault

"I've got a question for you, Natalie Walker. Not the one you think. Not yet. What is the best part of high school? The great friends you make? The romance? No. We both know the best part of high school is summer break. It's the great reset button. And after everything that happened to me sophomore year, I couldn't wait to start fresh. To tear the rest of the pages from my journal and forget it all. Except I didn't get very far. At work, my usual partner in crime was spending the summer with his grandparents. His temporary replacement was nice enough but entirely too normal. And I couldn't escape my past. I needed a change. I needed to be someone new. Have you ever felt like that? Why would you need too? You're Natalie Walker - you're perfect. Every guy in school wanted you, every girl wanted to be friends with you and you were blessed with a picture perfect family that wouldn't have to worry about anything. But for me? I was going to cut away from my past, be stronger, be smarter, work harder. Because you can't change other people, but you can change yourself."

Hannah got one thing right. Her life was picture perfect. Emphasis on the picture. Justin, Bryce and Natalie approached Jessica, Sherri and Zach talking about the cheer drama of the day. "Your coach is such a bitch." Natalie heard her brother say.

"She's actually pretty cool as long as people show up to practice." Sherri crosses her arms and shrugged.

"It's cheerleading. Not saving lives." Jessica said as Natalie interrupted, pulling a blue water bottle out of her bag.

"Anyone down for a little pick me up?" Natalie asks, taking a gulp and wincing afterwards. So her alcohol problem had gotten a little worse recently. It was the only way the guilt went away.

Jessica took the next swing and they both earn looks of disapproval from Justin. "Is this vodka?" Justin takes the bottle from Natalie's hand, who chuckles at his response. "Come on, guys. Since when do you drink at school?"

"Since when do you ever turn down a drink?" Bryce punches his shoulder lightly. "Hand it, little sis." He said, taking the bottle from Natalie's hands and she was surprised to see him let his grip on her go a bit.

"Don't be a bitch, Justy. Come on." Natalie said, the nickname always sounded better coming from her than anyone else. Natalie noticed Clay staring and looked at the group as Justin took a drink of the water bottle. "Alright. I gotta head to Math before that bitch, Courtney takes my seat again. Later, losers." Natalie said, putting the water bottle back into her backpack.

As she walked into school, she sped up feeling someone chasing after her. "Natalie. Wait, wait, Natalie." The girl heard Clay say and Natalie took a deep breath as she kept walking. "I heard the tape about Jessica's party."