chapter thirty seven

CHAPTER THIRTY SEVENgetaway car

getaway car

-

The homecoming football game. Everybody was looking forward to it. Everybody except Natalie. Liberty going against Hillcrest was terrifying for Natalie.  And what happened at homecoming was even worse for Natalie.

-

Natalie sat on her couch, reading a magazine as everybody else worried about police searches all over town. She had already been down that road. She heard her mother cough a bit as she walked in.

"You know you don't have to cough for me to know you're there, Mom. You can say hi." Natalie chuckled.

"You're in much better spirits." Nora sighs as she sat down in front of Natalie on the opposite couch. "I have a question for you."

Natalie put the magazine down slowly. "Okay. What is it?" She asks in a confused tone.

"Ani and Bryce. Do you believe what police are saying about them? Being active with each other?" Nora asks, doing everything in her power to avoid the word sex.

"Yes." Natalie says quickly with a nod.

"You knew about this?" Nora's eyebrows both raise.

"I don't understand how you thought it was a good idea to have another girl live here when Bryce had moved in." Natalie shook her head. "There's a reason I never have friends over."

"And Clay had a big crush on Ani. Do you think that is a motive?" Nora asks.

"You're reaching for straws here, Mom." Natalie stood up. "No, I don't think it's a motive." She says before walking out of the room.

-

It was homecoming morning. Natalie had Justin's extra jersey on as she walked into the kitchen to see Bryce in a suit, dressed up for game day. "Good morning, my rival brother." She chuckled as he gave her a cup of coffee. She didn't know that would be the last time she got to tease him. "Good Morning Amara Josephine, Good morning Ani"

"Good morning, Natalie. I am about to make eggs for your grandfather if you would like any." Amara Josephine responded causing Natalie to shake her head sweetly.

"I actually will probably just grab a bagel but that is sweet. Thank you." Natalie nods as she grabs a water bottle out of the fridge. She notices Bryce and Ani in an intense conversation. "Brycey, hate to interrupt but Mom wants us to stop at the studio before school and I figure it would just be easier to drive together and you can drop me off. Justin will take me home."