chapter two

CHAPTER TWO

CHAPTER TWO

"So where are your parents?" Hannah asks and Jessica gives her the 'why the fuck would you ask that?' look.

Natalie shook her head with a smile and a chuckle as she sat at one of the chairs by her kitchen island, across from Jessica. "It's okay, um. My dad owns his own company and so he used to go on business trips a lot - what my brother tells me is that he cheated on my mom so my mom started going with him on the business trips. It's kinda just me and Bryce."

"And this big ass house." Jessica laughs, trying to make light of the situation. "I know what we should do. Play Truth or Drink!"

"Truth or drink?" Hannah asked, with a confused look.

"It's just like truth or dare, but either you answer the truth or you drink." Jessica says as Natalie grabs a bottle of liquor out of her moms wine room.

Natalie smiled "Okay, what's the worse that could happen?" She said as she walked them into the living room.

"I'll go first, Hannah." Jessica asked as the three of them took a seat on the couch. "Did you go on a date with Justin Foley last night?" she asks, raising an eyebrow. Natalie winced when Hannah nodded yes. But she wasn't going to tell them.

"Natalie, have you ever kissed one of your brothers friends? If so, who?" Hannah asks, looking over at Natalie.

Natalie looked down at her drink, deciding whether to answer or drink. "Zach Dempsey. Oh and Justin Foley in the 7th grade but that was nothing." Natalie shook her head with a chuckle.

They kept playing the game for a while, until she heard her back door open. "Oh, lord. Get ready." Natalie rolls her eyes as four boys stumble into the living room.

"Nat, I didn't know you had friends over." Bryce says and Natalie looked up at her older brother as he came up behind her in the fridge.

"I told you earlier." Natalie response, looking at the guys who were staring and chuckling at Hannah. She was confused, she hit Bryce as she started to talk to him again. "I just remembered I need your help with something in the kitchen."

Bryce looked at her with a confused glance as he followed her. She slammed her hand on the table. "Am I missing something?" Natalie asks.

"You're hanging out with Hannah Baker?" Bryce asks and Natalie shrugs.

"Yeah, why?" Natalie raises her eyebrows when he starts to chuckle as he pulled out his phone.

There was a picture of Hannah on a slide with her legs open. "Gave it up to Foley on the first date."

Natalie shakes her head. "That can't be true."

"Pictures don't lie, little sister." Bryce chuckled again.

"You're such a fucking asshole." Natalie rolls her eyes and hits his shoulder. She wanted to tell Hannah but she didn't. But she should have. The picture was exposed the next day to the school and Hannah lost a lot of respect for Natalie, despite her apologies.

When Natalie listened to that tape, she remembered how she could have helped. She could have tried to stop them from spreading the picture. But she didn't.

After the tapes and everything that came with it, it took time to process it. Everybody accused Hannah of lying but Natalie was still not very sure.

She couldn't believe her brother could hurt anybody like this - this was bad. Sure, he was a douche and a bit of a player and didn't really respect women. Natalie started to distance herself from the boy who was once her best friend.

"Hey, I'll give you a ride to my house if you want to hang out with Bryce." Natalie raises an eyebrow to Justin. "I think we have to talk about some stuff."

Justin nodded, Natalie was still head over heels for the boy, despite the mistakes he made with Hannah and sadly, despite the fact that he was dating her best friend. She would never act on it though.

They got into her new white range rover and she turned down the radio as she started driving back home. "What did you want to talk about?" Justin asked, with a worried tone now that he knew Natalie heard the tapes.

"Don't worry, it's not about that." Natalie took a deep breath. "I know you say that Hannah is a liar. But that picture. Was that true? Bryce told me you guys had sex but I mean, I don't know who to believe."

"No - she was telling the truth." Justin responds sternly, with a hint of regret in his voice.

"What if she was telling the truth about everything? We fucked up, Justin." Natalie took a deep breath.

Natalie remembered when the picture came out, she called Hannah a few times trying to see if she was okay and kept getting declined. She finally got ahold of Hannah when she found her in the parking lot.

"Hannah, wait up." Hannah rolled her eyes as she finally decided to stop ignoring Natalie.

"What the hell? You haven't been responding to any of my calls or any of my texts, I know that things have been hard for you." Natalie shook her head, she cared about her friends and Hannah had become a close friend.

"Did you know?" Hannah asked and Natalie raises an eyebrow in confusion. "About the picture? About the lies?"

Natalie was the worlds worst liar - she took a deep breath. "I'm gonna be honest, I knew about the picture. But I didn't know anyone would share it or even how true it even was. I mean they pull stupid shit all the time."

Hannah shook her head. "I can't believe I considered you my friend! Kat warned me about you." She stormed off.

Natalie looked around - told her what? She started feeling upset - she took a chance on Hannah when people looked at her weird. She stormed back into her car and drove home.

Natalie walked up to the stairs after getting home from her drive with Justin, who was now in the pool house. She looked around the room and found a picture of her, Jessica and Hannah from the night of the sleepover. She held the picture frame in her hand before slamming it against the wall and took a seat on the bed trying to hold in her tears.

A/N : Two chapters in one day? This is so not like me but i'm obsessed with this book! I put this as a warning in most of my books but my goal is to make all of my characters have flaws. This is also going to be a slow burn but just hold out hope! It's going to be one heck of a read. Remember to leave feedback, vote and comment!! Thank you guys!

word count - 1153