chapter twenty eight

CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT"all i see is pain"

"all i see is pain"

Natalie laid on the couch, unusual for her but times were changing. She heard a knock on the door as she stood up, fixing her shirt and pants as her mother let the officer into the home.

"Mrs.Walker , it is still possible that Bryce just left of his own accord." The sheriff shook his head to her mother as Natalie crosses her arms, looking at the ground and just listening to the conversation.

"He hasn't touched his hank accounts or his credit card since Friday. His phone goes to voicemail." Nora shook her head.

"Does he usually take your calls?" The sheriff suggested, causing anger in Natalie to rise.

"I'm sorry?" Her mother asks in a confused tone.

"I'm just wondering if maybe you and Bryce had been arguing?" The sheriff asks and Natalie rolls her eyes "Was he happy at home?"

"Was he happy? What kind of question is that?" Natalie argues and her mother lays a hand on her shoulder for her to calm down.

"I mean no offense, ma'am." The sheriff shook his head.

"Clay Jensen is lying to you all. He knows something. Something happened after that high school homecoming." Nora shook her head as Natalie was quick to come to Clay's defense.

"Mom, this isn't about Clay." Natalie says as she noticed Ani eavesdropping. She moves to close the door so the conversation could stay private.

"I agree that a whole lot happened at that homecoming. But until we find something specific, we can't bring him in again." The sheriff shook his head.

"Well how about his friend, Tony? They both had issues with my son." Nora suggested and Natalie glares at her.

"Mom! They are my friends, you can't just be picking them off one by one to bring in. They were not the only ones at school that had a problem with Bryce." Natalie shook her head.

-

"I set up a schedule." Clay says showing his ipad to the table. "Who picks him up in the morning, who takes him between what classes, after school, nightly check in and if we spread it around, it's actually not that bad. I'll text you the URL. It's password protected."

"There's like the insanity of us doing this at all and then there's the insanity of 'Oh my god, you built a website.'" Jessica says causing Natalie and Justin to chuckle from across the table.