chapter fourteen

CHAPTER FOURTEENchasing pavements

CHAPTER FOURTEEN
chasing pavements

Natalie looked over to see Justin sound asleep on the other side of her bed. He deserved a night to rest after the trouble he was put through. She sat up and looked down at the long white sweater she was wearing.

She stood up and looked around her room. Natalie pulls a bag out of her closet quietly and puts it on her vanity chair. She puts a bunch of clothes from her dresser in the bag as she hears police sirens from outside her house. She shakes it off as nothing as she finishes packing and lays back into bed.

She closed her eyes softly as she felt Justin's arms shift on top of her stomach. Natalie took a deep breath and fell asleep despite the stress of what she was going to do next.

The next morning, she woke up before Justin and quietly got out of his arms as she got ready for school. Natalie grabbed her backpack and left to the kitchen. She grabbed her phone out of her back pocket and found her moms phone number.

"Hey, Mom. I don't know what time it is there. But I need to come home early. Today, if you can." Natalie left on the voicemail machine but didn't get anything back for a few hours.

She got a message in her family group chat that they would be back by dinner on the first plane back to California. Natalie went to school as if it was a normal day while Justin got his affairs in order.

Natalie returned home while Bryce went to pick up their parents from the airport. She planned out everything, she needed to have a plan that made it impossible to go wrong.

When her parents got home, Natalie exchanged hugs as everyone in the family sat down in the living room. "So whats so important we had to leave the trip?" Her father asked.

Natalie took a deep breath as she looked down at the ground. She looked up at Bryce before looking over at her parents. "I'm leaving. I'm leaving and I'm not coming back. You can tell everybody I went to boarding school in another country or something."

"Are you joking? You are 16 years old, Natalie Marie. You are not going anywhere!" Her father yelled but Natalie wasn't scared. She had a plan.

"Fine! Than I will go to the police and tell them that Bryce is a rapist." Natalie crosses her arms, leaning back in the seat.

Nora and Barry look at each other before looking back at their youngest. "Why would you say something like that?" Nora asked.

"Because it's true!" Natalie exclaimed, hoping her parents would believe her.

Barry and Nora take a few seconds to look at each other. "Natalie, I really hoped we had raised you better than that. We take care of our family. We don't believe rumors like that."