chapter one

CHAPTER ONE

CHAPTER ONE

"Natalie Marie, I swear to God if you are not down here in the next two minutes, you are finding a new ride to the party." Natalie heard her big brother yell from downstairs.

She finished putting on her lip gloss as she walked downstairs to see her brother and three or so of his friends.

Natalie Marie Walker was the daughter of Nora and Barry walker and the younger sister of all star football and baseball player, Bryce Walker. Her parents would be gone for weeks at a time, Bryce would make sure she ate, make sure she did her homework and showered. It may have seemed annoying at times but it all came from a good place.

Bryce hated the idea of her having a boyfriend or going to parties, anything of that nature even though he did it himself. It took a lot out of her to get him to let the strings loose as she started her sophomore year.

"You are the most impatient person I've ever met!" She yelled and looked at whatever friends he had with him - now it was Justin, Zach and Montgomery.

Natalie grew up around these boys - all of them were protective of her just like Bryce. Zach was in love with Natalie, he thought she was the most beautiful and sweetest girl in the world. But while he looked at her, she always looked at Justin.

Natalie wondered why all of Bryce's friends were in her grade. But it mostly meant they were sometimes closer to Natalie then him. She met Justin Foley when they were in Kindergarten, Bryce would give him lunch and soon enough Justin would be almost everyday.

Natalie first realized she had a crush on Justin when they were twelve. Justin had his first kiss at her older brother's birthday party. She felt something in her stomach and it made her upset. She was jealous. But she would never tell him how she felt. If only she would, because he felt the same.

"Isn't he the most impatient person ever?" Natalie asks his friends and they all chuckle at his response. She earns a light slap at the back of her head from her big brother and they both roll their eyes.

"I'm impatient because you take two hours to do your hair." Bryce shakes his head as they all pile into his jeep. The party was at some new girls house but was thrown by a popular girl from Bryce's grades.

When they came up to the party, Justin and Zach started fighting in a sprinkler, which was obviously just a reason to take their shirts off - simply causing an eye roll from Natalie as she walked up the porch.

People were walking up to her as she made her way through the house - she was well known and people would love to be her friend. She exchanged hi's as she ended up in the kitchen.

Natalie poured herself a shot and took it really quickly before she started walking again. She was looking around, which she regret as she walked straight into a brunette girl - she was pretty but Natalie had never seen her before.

"I'm so sorry!" Natalie exclaims as she looks the girl up and down. "I wasn't looking where I was going."

The girl responds, "Don't worry about it, it's my fault. I'm super clumsy." She says with a smile as they are interrupted by Kat walking over.

Natalie recognized Kat as the girl who was throwing the party, she smiled as Kat started talking. "Natalie! This is Hannah, she's gonna be starting Liberty High after I leave. Hannah, this is Natalie. She's the girl I was telling you about."

"Nice to meet you. Good luck at Liberty! Say hi if you see me in the hallway." Natalie smirked as she continued to walk.

That was a year ago. Natalie knew she made mistakes in her friendship with Hannah Baker. But she was never going to make it up to her. Now Hannah was gone.

Hannah dying took a toll on Liberty High School. Everybody was on edge, nobody really realized that this was a real thing until it happened.

Natalie rode home with her brother and Justin, she had recently noticed basically everyone was on edge but figured it just had something to do with the whole energy of the school being off.

When she got home, the three saw a box with Natalie's name plastered on it. Justin started feeling uneasy but it was only noticed by Natalie.

She picked it up and looked at the other two. "What is that?" Bryce raised an eyebrow at his little sister.

"Probably just something I ordered online." Natalie shrugged as they all walked inside.

"Hey, we're gonna go out to the pool house. Just tell us when you order something for dinner." Bryce said and Natalie nodded, walking upstairs.

Natalie opened the box and saw 7 cassette tapes with numbers painted on them with nail polish. "What the fuck?" She mumbled to herself.

Natalie found a cassette player in her fathers office and brought it upstairs, locking the door. "Hey. It's Hannah. Hannah Baker." She stayed in her room all night, listening to all the tapes.

Natalie thought back to when Hannah came to school after the move, she automatically found a friendship with Justin and Natalie couldn't help but be jealous.

On the first day back at school from summer break, Natalie had two or three classes with Hannah and they got along really well. She even invited Hannah and her friend, Jessica to her house for a sleepover.

Natalie heard a knock on her door and knew her brother wasn't going to get it since he was in the pool house. She opened the door and saw the two girls and smiled. "Hey guys, come on in."

Natalie showed them around the house, both impressed by the size of the house. "So my brothers in the pool house, if you seen him, don't talk to him. He's creepy and an asshole. So just stick around me. His friends will probably here but ignore them too."

"Which friends?" Hannah asked, raising an eyebrow.

"I don't know, like Dempsey and Foley. Maybe Montgomery." Natalie shrugged as she brought them into the kitchen. "Now, let's get this show on the road." Natalie smiled.

A/N : here's the first chapter, this doesn't talk much about Justin and Natalie but establishes relationships between Natalie and other characters! I'm very excited for this book! Give some feedback, vote, comment, etc. Hope you all enjoy!!

word count - 1104