chapter thirty eight

CHAPTER THIRTY EIGHTtwo ghostsTRIGGER WARNING - descriptions of rape

two ghosts
TRIGGER WARNING - descriptions of rape

-

Natalie always had the weakness of caring too much. Clay was fleeing town and despite him being the number one suspect of her brothers murder, she still wanted to protect him.

Justin was calling all around to make sure no one had seen Clay. Running made him look guilty. As Natalie prepared for school, she heard her phone ring.

It was an unknown number but she picked it up just in case. "Hello?" Natalie asked.

"Nat." Clay said and Natalie recognized his voice quickly.

"Clay. Where are you?" She said quietly as she closed her door so no one in the house would hear her.

"I have to leave. Please don't tell anyone but I have to go. I need our plan with Tyler to go into motion. Can you take him home from school?" Clay asks.

"I mean yeah but.." Natalie starts, taking a deep breath. "Tyler really wanted us to be at the assembly today. Just tell me where you were, I'll come get you and we'll figure it out like we planned."

"Natalie..." Clay sighed.

"Clay, you're my best friend. I need you to be here. Just come home and we can be there for our friends and we can figure this shit out." Natalie explained. Clay gave the address and allowed Natalie to come pick him up.

If Natalie left now, they'd be at school by the time the assembly started. She hoped. She didn't want to miss it. She owed it to Jessica and she owed it to Tyler to be there.

"Why'd you come back?" Natalie asked as she picked Clay up off the side of the road. "You could've been in downtown LA by now."

"The same reason Justin came back 6 months ago. You said you needed me." Clay shrugged and Natalie smiled to herself, any thought of him killing her brother was out the window. He wouldn't do that to her.

They made it to school around 9:30, walking in the side doors to hear many people standing up, sharing their confidence in being a survivor after the word of Jessica Davis. Natalie knew better than anyone that her best friend was the most inspirational person at the school.

Natalie and Clay stayed close to the wall when entering, hoping to not make a scene. But Justin noticed them and so did Tyler. Natalie gives a smile to Tyler and little did they know, they gave Tyler the same confidence.