chapter fifteen

CHAPTER FIFTEEN feeling whitney

CHAPTER FIFTEEN
feeling whitney

Justin and Natalie got one thing right when they said it wasn't going to be easy. It was especially difficult. They had been out on their own for 4 months. They spent Thanksgiving and Christmas together. Every day from November to March.

But living off barely $1,000 in a place like California was hard. Justin told Natalie he got a job and started bringing in money in Oakland for about a month before all the money seemed to disappear. He never actually had a job. But he couldn't tell Natalie that.

Natalie had gotten a job at a local diner, making barely $9/hour. But it was something.

Natalie should've been able to figure out the drug addiction but he knew how disappointed she would be. So he would only do it when she was at work.

Besides not really having a place to stay and the secrets being kept, Justin and Natalie's relationship was thriving. Spending every single day together on the streets, it got them pretty close.

Thanksgiving 2017

This wasn't a life Natalie was used too. Natalie could admit she had lived with privilege and she never really had to work for a thing until now - they walked for days until they hit Oakland.

It was the perfect distance away that they wouldn't have to walk anymore but wouldn't have to worry about people recognizing them. They had been staying in motels but their money supply was running out quickly

Justin had yet to start oxycodone or heroin but he had been prostituting himself. He didn't tell Natalie because she would freak out and volunteer to do it. And she didn't need that.

Natalie had worked at the diner all day and walked back the four blocks to the motel. She put the key in the door to see Justin watching TV. She smiled when she saw him.

"Hey Nat." Justin smiles as he sat up in the bed. She shoved her hair behind her head as she took off her jacket. She sat next to him after putting her bag on the floor.

"I got us Thanksgiving dinner." Natalie chuckles as she sat next to him on the bed.

"My breadwinner." Justin winked with a chuckle. The two tried to make light of everything that had come their way. It's the only thing they could do.

He put his arm around her as she sat next to him. "How was your day?" Justin asked and Natalie shrugged.

"It was a day. You?" Natalie raises an eyebrow and Justin shifted into a more comfortable position.