chapter forty nine

chapter forty ninedeath bedtrigger warning : sadness and very long chapter ahead

chapter forty nine
death bed
trigger warning : sadness and very long chapter ahead

-

Natalie couldn't breathe from the massive anxiety that took over her body. All she could remember was seeing Justin on the floor and her heart completely breaking. He had been in the hospital for almost a week and Natalie couldn't remember not sitting in the chair next to the bed.

Lainey made a special request to have Natalie sit in on the diagnosis and treatment meeting with the doctor. She held the cup of coffee in her hand, twiddling with the end of his sweatshirt that she wore as she sat next to Clay.

"I'm afraid I have some very difficult news to share. Justin has tested positive for HIV-1. And based on his symptoms, we believe it has progressed to Aids." Natalie felt chills up and down her arms as she stared at the floor.

"How is that possible?" Matt asked "He had the flu. He's been tired."

"Well HIV has a long period of latency after infection, which means that Justin may not have shown any symptoms for sometime. With his IV drug use and extended periods of homelessness, this would have made him more susceptible to rapid progression. According to his records, he was never tested." The doctor explained.

"How has he not been tested? We got him the best GP. He had a complete physical." Lainey shakes her head.

"Testing required patient consent." The doctor nodded. "It's not uncommon for a young man with a history of drug use and sex work to avoid testing."

"Sex work?" Clay asked and Natalie's head raised up.

"It was a long period of time during homelessness. There's some parts he didn't want to be shared." Natalie shrugged.

"The pneumocystis pneumonia has an indolent presentation which means that the symptoms develop slowly over some weeks and there was a late diagnosis." The doctor nodded. "I understand you and Justin have a baby on the way, it is a major concern that you go through very similar testing." She told Natalie.

Natalie sat next to Justin's bed as he rubbed her hand. Despite being in the absolute worst condition, he still managed to love her unconditionally.

"Hey." Clay said as he walked in.

"Hey." Justin let out a soft smile.

"How is it today?" Clay asked.

"Just like yesterday. But a little bit worse." Justin chuckled.