Part 8

For the rest of the week, almost all of the other Selected girls have avoided me. I've sent a few home, leaving only eight remaining, including Breanne. Brooke and Sadie comfort me throughout the days and nights when we see each other throughout the halls and hospital.

We had looked into contacting Breanne's family to tell them about her condition, but we found out that she has no family left. No wonder she's so unhappy.

Breanne's condition has plummeted. She's pale as snow, they've had to change her sheets every half-hour, and she's been sliding in and out of consciousness. Half the time, when I visit her, she's passed out. When this happens, I hold her hand and sit by her side.

The other girls must feel horrible- they must think I had already decided on Breanne. Perhaps Sadie and Brooke think that, too. But I could care less when someone I do love is dying.

Tonight, I'm exhausted from lack of sleep, but that doesn't stop me from visiting Breanne. I walk into the hospital room and almost jump when I see Sadie by Breanne's side. Throughout the week Sadie has told me stories about how her and Breanne actually became friends. I never thought they were, but I guess I was wrong.

What really scares me is the expression on Sadie's face.

"What's wrong?" I ask, rushing to her side.

"Her heart- it's- it's barely beating!" she exclaims, her cheeks tear-stained.

"Oh my God," I whisper, my breath heavy. Trying not to panic, I press my ear to Breanne's chest. As Sadie said, Breanne's heart beats slowly and weakly, almost non-existing. "We need a doctor!" I yell as loud as I can.

Doctors stream into the room as if they knew they were planning on this happening. I'm pushed gently out of the way by a nurse, but I fight my way back to her side. I grab her hand and squeeze it.

"Breanne," I cry, and I can just feel her heart beating slower by the second. I take her head in my other hand and all the doctors move backwards, as if they think she's a lost cause. 

Sadie's sobs fill the silent room, but I hold back. Until she's dead, I will not cry. She wouldn't want me to.

"Breanne, please!" I beg, shaking her shoulders. I wrap my hands around her and lift her into a sitting position, and slide myself so her head is laying on my lap. "Please, Breanne." My voice a whisper, I say, "I love you, Breanne. You need to-"

Her eyes fly open. My face lights up- but her heart doesn't beat any faster.

"Gerad," she whispers. "You're my first love, Gerad. My only love- the only person I'll- ever love- Gerad Schreave- I love you-"

"I love you too..."

But it's too late.

Her body turns cold, sending shivers down my spine. I can feel her presence leaving, her emptiness filling the room and leaving me alone; utterly alone. Though there are people all around me and I have family, friends, and other girls here who I'm falling for, I'm alone. So alone.

I start sobbing. "Breanne," I whimper, holding her close to my chest, cradling her head. Blood smears all over my face and suit, but I ignore it. Her eyes are open and staring up at me blankly, dull... dead. I close her eyes with my shaking fingers and a tear of mine slips down my cheek onto her's. 

From the corner of my eye I can see Sadie running out of my room, weeping. My own tears are slowing now, but the feeling of utter emptiness doesn't disappear. 

"Your Highness," someone whispers. I turn to look at them. It's one of the doctors. "We're very sorry for your loss. Is there anything we can do for you?"