Part 12

"Where are we going?" I ask, taking Brooke's hand and walking with her down the hall.

"You'll find out," she says innocently, hiding a smile. I grin, shaking my head. "We'll be there soon."

I follow her lead. Looking out a window, I realize it must be later than I thought. "If we're going somewhere outside, we're going to need guards-"

"Shh," she whispers, looking over at me. "There are probably already guards there."

My heart pounds. Where is Brooke taking us that guards are already stationed at?

"Is it safe?" I ask.

She laughs. "Why would I take you to a place where it's not safe?" Squeezing my hand, she says, "You're worrying too much. I'm taking you to a beach. Or a beach-ish thing. I don't really know what it is."

A wave of realization washes over me. On one side of the palace there's a small area covered with sand, giving it a feel of a beach, since it wouldn't be safe to actually be next to a body of water. The area has exotic looking flowers and trees, adding to the feel.

"Oh," I say, embarrassed. "Sorry."

She laughs and kisses my cheek. "It's okay."

Soon, we reach a set of doors leading outside. I shiver at the cool summer air, and when I see Brooke shiver too, I wrap an arm around her, rubbing her shoulder.

"Do you come here often?" I ask, leading her towards the sand.

"Only when I need to think."

"About what?" As soon as the words leave my mouth, I want to take them back. Too nosy.

She stops walking, causing me to stop too. Looking into my eyes, she whispers, "About you."

I can't help the smile that breaks out onto my face. Not hesitating, I lean down to kiss her. The only kisses I've shared with Brooke were small and short. I decide to change that now.

Wrapping one hand around her waist and placing the other hand on her neck, I pull the kiss deeper, and she doesn't resist. Her hands travel up my back, until they reach my neck. She runs her hands through my hair, still kissing me. I begin to cup her face in my hands when she pulls away. And she doesn't just pull away; she takes a few steps back.

"Are you okay?" I whisper, worried that I did something wrong. Gwen didn't seem to think so- does Brooke not have that big an interest in me anymore?

"I- I just- Well, I-" she stammers, looking around, eyes wide. "I'm sorry."

"No, it's okay," I reply, reassuring her. "We don't have to..." My voice trails off, and I let it. Brooke's plain look of sadness leaves me speechless. I've never seen it before.

"It's not you," she murmurs, sitting down on a nearby bench. Not knowing what else to do, I sit down next to her. "It's my mom," she says as I sit.

"Your-" I pause. "What?"

"She always told me that if I ever kissed a boy before I was eighteen she would ban me from ever having a boyfriend again," she says, her eyes rimmed with tears. She laughs softly. "I knew she was joking, but... Oh, I don't know."

"What happened to your mom?" I ask softly, covering her shaking hands with mine.

"She died when I was fourteen. Cancer. It's been three years, but I still can't move on. It's like this emptiness that I feel whenever I'm alone. Even during the Selection, though I always seem to be surrounded by people..." She wipes her eyes. "I should be moving on my now. But I can't."