Part 7

I wake up to a bright light shining through the open windows. Maxon must've already gotten up, because he's not lying next to me. I stretch out, the warm breeze tickling my skin.

"Good morning, my dear," Maxon whispers, walking from the bathroom to the bed.

"Thank you, except I'm not your dear." He's heard this so many times from the that he only laughs. Maybe one day I will let him call me 'my dear'. Maybe someday.

I sit up as he climbs into the bed. Pulling me tight, he says, "You better be ready for a day at the beach, just you and me."

With the rebel attacks ending, I feel so much calmer, and I hope Maxon does too. Even though it was a dangerous decision to talk with the rebels at all, I'm glad I did. It was the first thing I've done to help the country as a queen.

"Oh, I am so happy, Maxon. This is perfect," I murmur.

He beams from ear to ear. "That makes me happy."

All I can do is smile. I've been waiting for time alone with Maxon, without guards and without having to be a queen. I can relax and I can be me. No brave face needed here.

"Now," he says, "You should get ready. And you don't even need to wear a dress. Your maids packed sundresses for you, but also some jean shorts." He pauses. "I don't even know how you wear them. They're so uncomfortable!"

We both laugh, and I take a look at what Maxon's wearing. Khakis and a casual button-down shirt.

"You look great in casual clothes," I comment. "You should try that more often."

"Anything for you, my-" He cuts himself off. I laugh and he hits me in the arm jokingly.

I get up and dress casually, just like him. Jean shorts and a flowy shirt. Compared to what I have to wear at the castle, this is heaven.

"I'm ready!" I exclaim. A wave of joy passes over me. Life has been so stressful lately. I can almost feel the stress wearing away. 

I can't help myself. I run to Maxon and hug him tightly. Surprised, he laughs and hugs me back.

"Looks like someone's in a good mood today," he laughs. 

I nod. "Maxon, thank you so much for taking me here. You know how much I love you, right?"

"It wouldn't hurt to remind me," he replies with a grin on his face.

I kiss him passionately, and then pull back. "I love you more than there are stars in the sky. I love you more than the distance to the moon- and back! I love you more than words can describe."

He closes his eyes, and when he opens them, he looks deeply into mine. "But however much you love me, I love you ten times more."

He grabs my hand and pulls me outside. The heat isn't too bad. It's perfect. The ocean waves crash onto the beach, sending a cool breeze our way. We still hold hands.

Maxon sets out a blanket and sits down, motioning me to sit next to him. I lean my head onto his shoulder. We sit like that for a while, our fingers intertwined. To my surprise, Maxon pulls out two things. One is a box wrapped in silver and gold, and another is a camera.

"Smile!" he exclaims. I smile, not only with my mouth but with my eyes, and also with my heart. I'm usually not a happy person. What's gotten into me?

He turns the camera around, showing me the photo. We're beautiful together.

"I love it," I say.

He nods in agreement. "That's going on our wall as soon as we go home."

Then he picks up the box. What's inside? He hands it to me, and I look at him. 

"Maxon, you have to stop giving me gifts!" I exclaim. "I love them all, but I feel so spoiled."

"Darling, you deserve them."

I shake my head, but still smiling. I carefully unwrap the gift. What's inside leaves my mouth hanging and my eyes wide.

"Maxon, you didn't have to-" He cuts me off.

He's given me the most beautiful necklace. Diamonds hang beautifully, shiny and bright.

"I still feel bad about not giving you something like the other girls. And now that you've given your necklace away, I thought you should finally get what you deserve." He pauses. "Now, I don't mean to replace your dad's necklace. I know this will never replace something that special. I just-"

I cut him off with a kiss. He runs his hand  through my hair, which I let hang freely today. It feels nice not to have it in a tight bun.

We kiss for what seems like an eternity, and then Maxon pulls me up without warning. When he starts running, I squeal and try to keep up.

Soon, we've reached the shore. The water runs over our feet and I let out a gasp. It's freezing!

"Don't worry," Maxon says. "You'll get used to it."

Without warning, he splashes me with the freezing water. I stand there, soaked, thinking about what to do back at him. 

"I'm gonna get you...!" I exclaim in a joking manner.

Just as a wave starts to come closer to us, I bend down, clutching my stomach. I moan, pretending to be in pain. This is going to get him for sure.

"America!" he yells. "Are you alright?" 

When the wave comes crashing down, I stand up and run back to shore. Maxon is soaked from head to toe. I double over, laughing.

"I'm so sorry! I just had to!" I call to him.

He runs to me. "You... are... going to pay for that!"

Picking me up bridal style, he races back into the ocean. Giggling, I try to get free of his hold, but he's much stronger than me. 

He gently sets me down just as a wave comes. I plug my nose. I've never mastered the technique of swimming underwater.

Now we're both soaked. I laugh, splashing Maxon. He splashes me back. I feel so childish, but it's a great feeling. Being a queen has forced me to mature faster than I wanted to. But now, just with Maxon, I can be myself.

And it's the best feeling in the world.

After a bit more of splashing each other and playing in the ocean, we lay back down on the blanket, drying off. I'm about to fall asleep when Maxon touches my stomach. Just when I start to think he's going to say something about the baby, he starts to tickle me. I jerk backwards, laughing so hard I start to cramp up. I shriek when he starts tickling my neck as well. 

Maxon must be ticklish somewhere. When he stops to let me catch my breath, I dart at him and sit on top of his stomach and tickle his neck. Turns out we're both very ticklish, because he swats my hand away and starts laughing.

I've never seen Maxon laugh this much. It feels so good.

We spend the rest of the afternoon on the beach, with each other, just how I've always wanted. By the time the sun sets, I'm sure this has been the best day of my life.