Part 8

We spent the rest of our honeymoon just like that- relaxing and chilling on the beach. But way too soon, we have to go back to the palace, to the responsibilities, to being king and queen. I don't want to go back- I had such a good time.

Lucy and Aspen joined us on the beach a few days during the week, but most of the time they were touring the surrounding areas. They had an amazing time, too.

But we all eventually have to fly back to Illéa. I fell asleep on the way back... again.

-

Maxon wakes me up and we walk back towards the castle. A mass of people have surrounded the palace, guards pushing them back.

By the time we make it safely into the palace, my face is exhausted. All that smiling can really wear you out.

"Well," Maxon says, "I hope you had fun on our honeymoon. Because there will never be another vacation, due to all of our duties."

I sigh. "I had a great time, and I hope you did too. I didn't want it to end."

We flop down on the bed. He mutters, "Neither did I. Now we have to be royalty again."

I kiss him, pulling him closer. I take off his jacket and he's about to unzip my dress when we hear a loud knock on the door.

I throw up my hands and say, "Ugh!"

Maxon puts on his jacket and grumbles, "Yep, I can tell we're back."

He opens the door and I walk over to him.

"Queen America?" Aspen asks, looking at me. "Your family is leaving for their new house next door. They've requested your presence."

After all week of being relaxed and calling Maxon and I by our first names, the transition back to treating us as royalty must be rigid. He's never been so formal- he must be trying too hard.

I agree and kiss Maxon on the cheek. "Bye," he says.

"See you soon," I reply.

Aspen and I walk down the empty halls. I admit, it's a little awkward. Being alone all week with our close friends was so easy. What are we supposed to say while being in the prescence of others?

Then it hits me. I haven't told Aspen about the baby yet. It's really surprising. I had a ton of time, and I simply forgot to tell him. And he didn't even notice.

Should I tell him? Or let him figure it out on his own?

I decide I should tell him. "Uh, Aspen?" I murmur, my voice rough.

He turns to me and raises his eyebrows.

"I think there's something I should tell you."

"What is it?" He looks as if he can't decide whether to be excited for the news or scared.

"I... I'm..." I can't get the words out. "I'm pregnant."

Surprise is evident in his expression. "Are you really?" he says.

"Yes..." I blush.

"In my opinion, you should've waited. Did he do this to you?"

I take a step away from him. "Excuse me?"

"Did he do this to you?"

I can't hide the anger that's boiling up inside me. No one talks about my husband like that.

"Did he do this to me? I'm sorry, but no one did anything to me. It was my choice too. So if you're going to blame anyone, blame me." I laugh sarcastically. "You could at least pretend to be supportive, yeah?"