Part 11

After lots of trouble and work, we've decided to eliminate the castes. We originally wanted to eliminate one at a time, but the rebels are relentless. So we are getting rid of Eight, Seven and Six.

Maxon and I stand hand in hand again, ready for the report to start.

Gabriel exclaims, "Good evening, Illéa! We have an announcement brought to you by your king and queen!" He gestures over to us.

"Hello, citizens of Illéa! We've made a huge decision and are launching it now," I say.

"Yes," Maxon adds. "After this Report ends, all Eights, Sevens, and Sixes are free from their castes! No more duty and responsibility for you. No ranking. You can do whatever you please, mix and mingle with higher castes, and marry people you fall in love with. Start a family!"

I smile. "Don't worry, the rest of you. Tomorrow, the rest of you will be free, if all goes well."

"This is a decision made by us- your king and queen. You will obey, and we hope you like it. If it doesn't work out, we will work out a plan to get people in order. But this is what free feels like- so don't ruin it for others," Maxon says.

"That's all for today! Pretty big news! I'm sure you can handle it. Good luck and be safe." I stand up straighter, realizing I've been slouching.

The cameras turn back to Gavril and I relax again. The dresses my maids have been making are great for the bump, but stiff on the back.

Maxon and I walk out of the room and into our bedroom.

"How are you feeling?" he asks.

I sigh. "I'm okay, I guess. But I'm worried."

"Why? What's wrong?" His expression changes from happy to worried.

I shake my head. "Nothing bad." I pause. "But have you noticed how I've gone from small-ish to much bigger within a week?" I gesture to my stomach.

He hesitates.

"You see? I am! What am I doing wrong?" I cry.

"America, whoa, slow down! Don't cry. You're not doing anything wrong."

I frown. "Then what is happening?"

"A baby is growing inside your stomach!" he exclaims. "You should be glad it's growing!"

I sigh. "I guess you're right."

Flopping down on the bed, I blow a kiss to Maxon. He blows one back.

Next thing I know, I'm out.

-

As soon as I wake up, I can tell something's wrong. Maxon is pacing in the room, and he doesn't notice me get up.

"Maxon?" I murmur, still sleepy. "What's wrong?"

He whips around. "America! You're awake!"

I nod.

His eyes turn sad. "America, I hate to have to tell you this but... Gerad has been shot. In the chest. He's in a coma, hooked up to machines. He might not make it."

Not knowing what to do, I let out a strangled cry. Why Gerad? He didn't do anything wrong. He doesn't deserve this!

Maxon sits next to me in bed, rubbing my back. "Honey, he'll make it. He's strong."

"Do The Report without me. Say I'm not feeling well." With that, I run to my family's house.

No one's there, so I race back into the castle. Maybe the hospital wing? Of course. Where else would they be?

As soon as I get there, I wish I could unsee what I see. Mom is crying so hard she's red and purple, May is trying to comfort her while blotchy-faced as well, and Kenna is cradling her crying baby while silent tears flow down her face. She shakes her head, as if she's unable to process it. And Kota. Kota is here too. He's angry. He sits there with clenched fists, breathing heavily.

It must've been like this when Dad died. I'm almost glad I wasn't there to see this.

I silently walk in to where my brother lies, silent and still. I start balling.

The Report comes on, but I'm too upset to watch it. I already know what Maxon's going to say.

For the rest of the day, my family- and eventually Maxon joins us- mourns. Even though we haven't lost him yet, I have a bad feeling about a three percent chance of living.

--1 MONTH LATER--

I look down at the black gown I'm wearing. The very look of it makes me want to cry. My maids made it just for this occasion. I've sworn I will never wear it again, remembering as something that ties me to my little brother.

One at a time, we say our final good-byes to Gerad. I'm last, and I don't have anything planned to say. I guess I'll just spill my heart.

Walking into the room, May exits with tears still running down her face.

I kneel down next to Gerad. He looks so peaceful. He's going to a better place, I know that. So when the monarchy comes crashing down because of what I'm doing, he won't have to see it. I smile at him, putting on my brave face. Just for him.

"Gerad..." I whisper, grabbing his cold hand. "I want you to know that I love you, and I will miss you. You've always been our little trooper, even when you were young. Always tough.

"You weren't the easiest to get along with. All those times you were mean to me, or May- I forgive you one hundred percent. I wish I had told you that before now.

"I love how you didn't agree with the castes, and you started your own little rebellion by playing ball in the artists' caste. I wish you were here today, to see the castes being eliminated. Today, Five is being released. You would be proud.

"So that's all I have to say. You've been the most wonderful brother, and I'll miss you forever. Please watch over me. Make sure nothing happens to my baby. I love you Gerad. I love you so much. One day I will join you. But know that you don't deserve this.

"Goodbye, Gerad. I love you." I wrap my arms around his motionless body. By now I'm balling. I squeeze his hand on more time and kiss him on the head. "For the millionth time..." I pause. "I love you."