Part 5

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY EVERYONE!!!
I haven't updated in so long, but I figured it'd be a good day to. Love is in the air... and it'll be in this chapter too ;)

I hope you all had an amazing day/are having an amazing day! I love you all, each and every one of you and I'm SO grateful for you all. Thank you for the undying support and kindness you give to me :) Lots of love, enjoy!!

-

"Paige." I slam the door behind me as soon as Xander leaves and I'm completely inside my room. "Paige!"

"Yes, Miss?" Paige replied, rushing over to me, but not looking up from the object in her hand.

"Paige, look at me!" I exclaim, on the edge of panicking.

Her eyes meet mine, but only for a split second. Her gaze immediately shifts to my cheek and jaw. "Amberly! What- What on Earth-"

"One of the suitors. It was an accident. I need your help. Please, cover it!"

She brushes a finger against my face and then gently grabs my shoulders. "I'll get you all fixed up, don't worry. When do you need to be ready by?"

"Eight O'Clock."

"It's 7:00 now... Why so soon, if you don't mind me asking?" Her head tilts to the side slightly, curious as to what I could be doing at eight.

A painful smile makes its way to my face as I contemplate how to respond. Finally, I cave and exclaim, "I'm going on a date, Paige! My first date."

"Princess! That's HUGE!" she squeals, hugging me excitedly. "Who's the lucky guy?"

Sighing happily, I say, "Xander. Xander Blake. He was probably the only one not in the men's room when this happened." I point to my face, rolling my eyes. "He still saw it. He walked me back to my room. He was so sweet about it! And then, it just kind of happened. I don't know why, the words just came out of my mouth! Xander, would you like to have a late dinner with me tonight? " I laugh, feeling my face heat up. "And then I said, I mean, assuming you haven't eaten. Because, I mean, you obviously don't want to eat too much or you won't feel too good. I'm such an idiot!" 

"You were nervous, Amberly. That's what happens when you... when you like a boy." She raises an eyebrow at me, while applying make-up over the growing bruise.

"Xander? Liking him? I... I don't think so." I swallow, suddenly realizing what I did. I asked him on a date. I asked a boy on a date. "It's too soon. I don't know him. This is a mistake- I'll tell someone to go inform him that it's off-"

"Miss! You need to get to know the men somehow. I think it's perfect. A late dinner, with someone who I assume is one of your favorites?"

"I guess so," I murmur, shrugging slightly. "I mean I haven't really gotten to know any of them, but he seems nice. He... He has heart problems. He almost made me cry on the first day when he told me!"

"Oh, no! That's terrible, poor boy." Paige sighs, pushing my head back gently. "Is he going to be in critical condition anytime soon? You'll have to be careful. Make sure you don't scare him or anything, because him having a heart attack could be an actual possibility."

I take a deep breath. "You're right. I- I'll be careful."

-

The door. Someone's knocking on the door.

It doesn't even register for a moment. I'm so used to a maid receiving people at the door that I don't realize it's for me to answer until Paige nudges me. 

"He's here, miss. Have fun! I'll be here when you get back!" She grins and squeezes my hand before disappearing into another room.

Carefully and slowly, I rise and adjust my dress. I take a moment to breathe before I open the door to see Xander standing there with a single rose. He looks breathtaking in a tux- and I thought he was good-looking before.