Part 20

Back to America's POV! More from Maxon at 3k reads- only 200 more! :D

-

"So who are you?" I ask, cowering in the corner of my dirty room. "And what do you want with me?"

"Listen," the strange man says. "You have to trust me. I know you have had many people in this room, doing... bad things to you." He takes a deep breath and lowers his voice. "I'm a guard from the palace. Officer Michael."

I let out a sigh. "Yeah, right." I've gone through too much. He's lying. I know he's lying.

"I got this job to get you out."

I shake my head. "No. I don't recognize you."

He rolls his eyes. "Do you know every guard in the palace?"

Now I'm silent. No. I don't. But the cuts and scars on my face prove that I'm stronger than I was before. Before, I would fall into this man's arms and tell him to save me. Now, I know it's all a lie.

Michael looks desperate. "Please, America. Trust me on this. Maxon sent me-"

"Do NOT talk about my husband!" I yell, getting up. "You will NOT!"

A tear falls from my face but I wipe it away angrily.

"He's watching, you know."

Confusion wipes over me. "What?"

Michael pulls out a screen. I see myself on it. I look horrible. Pale, thin, and bloody. He's seeing this?

"Do you want to talk to him?" Michael asks.

I shake my head. "No. You're lying. Stop!"

Now on the screen, Maxon is there with tears in his eyes. Michael hands me the screen. I hold it, my hands shaking.

"Maxon?" I whisper.

"America," he murmurs. "America, you're coming home."

I let myself be happy for a moment. Then my face turns dark. "This isn't real. This is recorded or something."

I pause.

"Say something only you and I would know."

He doesn't say anything. All hope drains out of me, slowly and painfully.

But to my surprise, he slowly raises his hand to his ear, tugging. A gasp escapes me.

"Tugging my ear. Whenever," he whispers.

"Maxon!" I cry.

"America, I love you. I love you, and you're coming home."

Suddenly Gerad appears on the screen next to Maxon. "Mommy!"

"Gerad!" I exclaim. "You okay, sweetie?"

"Yeah Mommy." He looks concerned. "You okay Mommy?"

Another tear runs down my face. "I'm okay, honey. I'll be home soon."

Michael interrupts. "America, I've found the right time to escape. And it's in a few minutes. We need to be ready."

I nod. "I love you Maxon." I tug my ear. "Whenever."

The screen goes black. I stare at it in disbelief. If I've been tricked, I no longer care.

Whatever my fate is, I now except it.

-

Michael and I sneak out of my room and into the forest. Well, this is easy.

But I spoke too soon. Before I know what's happening, we're surrounded by guards. I almost don't register it. My mind is still on the screen.

Then I realize I have a gun. I immediately pull it out. A secret look from Michael tells me to carry through with the plan.

I shoot one of the rebels and dive behind a tree. Every time a rebel comes into my view, I shoot it. The guilt courses through me but I push it down.

Michael yells. Has he been hit?

"Michael!" I screech.

"I'm okay!" he yells back. "Carry through!"

I nod, though I know he can't see me. I hope he's okay. I'm getting warmed up to him.

Now I don't hear any gunshots. So I pull away from the tree and shoot everyone standing up, since I see Michael on the ground.

Then everyone's down. I scramble over to Michael and lift his head up.

His eyes are rolled back in his head.

He's dying.

There's a bullet wound in his chest.

Over his heart.

"No!" I scream. "No, no, Michael, please, stay with me!"

It occurs to me that other rebels will hear me.

Do I care?

No.

I start balling. "Michael, please, no..."

He's conscious again. "Amer...ica... Carry... Through..."

His head falls limp.

"Michael," I cry. "Oh, Michael, I'm sorry. I'm so, so sorry."

Someone is stomping through the forest. Barely looking up, I shoot him and run farther into the woods, leaving Michael's lifeless body behind me.

Blindly crashing through the forest, tears burning my eyes, I try to see where I'm going.

And fail.

For what seems like hours, I roam through the trees. I'm lost. I'm so lost.

Then the forest ends. And the palace comes into view.

I sigh in relief. I run the final yards to the palace.

When the adrenaline drains, I feel a searing pain in my shoulder. My bullet wound opened up.

The pain, hunger, and stress becomes too much.

I'm so weak. Pathetic.

I pass out at the door of the palace.

-

Well this isn't my best chapter. I'm exhausted and on vacation. Sorry! Next chapter will hopefully be better. Be patient with me (:

Eve