Part 15

--THE SECOND CHILD--

This time around, I know what's going to happen. I feel the first pain and immediatley alert Maxon. This time he doesn't have to carry me- I'm not in too much pain.

I'm not as big as I was last time, so I'm assuming I'm not having twins. I'm glad, because of what happened last time. I'm still scared that will happen again.

"How are you doing, my dear?" Maxon asks as he leads me to the hospital wing.

I nod. "It's not quite time yet."

Tripping over my fluffy dress, I yelp. Maxon sweeps me off my feet, causing me to giggle. I look into his eyes and I fall in love with him all over again. 

We go through the same process as we did the first time. Honestly, this time is easier than the first. Last time, it took longer because of the twins. And now that I know what's happening, I'm sure it'll be easier.

Maxon grabs my hand. He had left for a bit to drop Gerad off with Anne and Mary.

--ONE HOUR LATER--

The nurse comes back into the room, with a pink bundle in her arms. She hands her to me, and a single tear falls down her face. She's adorable. She's smaller than Gerad was; she came a couple weeks early. 

The doctors inform me she is smaller than usual, but it won't affect her. 

Maxon sits next to me on the bed, with on arm around me and the other supporting the baby. Then I realize- we forgot to think of a name, again! We're too busy ruling the country.

"Maxon," I say. "Since I requested Gerad's name, would you like to come up with her name?"

He nods, looking down. "How about Amberly?" he suggests.

Amberly. Queen Amberly.

"Of course," I reply. 

Both our children are named after dead family members. It makes me sad that that's even an option. There shouldn't be any dead family members to name kids after.

"Amberly... Amberly what?" I ask.

"How about Amberly Nicole? I've always liked the name Nicole," Maxon replies.

I nod. "It's beautiful."

For the first time since she was born, Amberly opens her eyes. Instead of Maxon's deep brown eyes, she has icy blue eyes, just like mine. She has a tiny bit of strawberry-blonde fuz on the top of her head- a combination of Maxon's hair and mine.

"She's perfect," Maxon says. "Just like you."

I smile. "Gerad Timothy and Amberly Nicole Schreave."

Laughing, he says, "Are we going to have more?"

I swat his arm. "Maxon! Too soon, definitely too soon!" I laugh along with him.

~~~~~

"Hello, Illea! It's time to meet the newest addition to the Schreave family- Amberly Nicole!" Gavril says, in his chirpy voice.

Maxon is holding Gerad and I'm holding Amberly. Taking her little hand in mine, I wave to the country. Gerad and Maxon wave along with us.

"Amberly is a little smaller than an average newborn, but this isn't a problem. She has a tiny breathing problem that the doctors informed us of a little after she was born. But she will live, and if we give her the medications she needs everyday, everything will be fine," I explain. "She should be fine once she grows up a bit. She's just small."

"Gerad is doing perfect as well," Maxon says. "Aren't you, Gerad?"

"Yeah, Daddy!" Gerad exclaims, giggling. Amberly shrieks happily. Gerad was a happy baby- hopefully Amberly will be, too.

"Well, that's all for tonight," Gavril interjects. "Have a good night, Illea."

The cameras turn off. Maxon shifts Gerad onto one arm and hugs my shoulder with the other. We walk to the children's room. Opening the door, the lights turn on by themselves.

"Surprise!" 

Several people jump up. The room has banners hung from the walls, one saying 'Congratulations, Schreaves!'

I look around in surprise. I see Anne, Mary, Lucy, May, Kenna and Astra, my mom... and Aspen. Aspen's here, congratulating me?

"Thank you so much, guys!" I laugh. I hug Maxon tighter.

One by one, everyone in the room comes up to us and gives us a present. Gerad gets some stuff, too. Since I didn't want a baby shower, since we have everything we could want  here at the palace, I guess my friends decided to throw me some sort of party.

Finally, Aspen and Lucy come up to us. Lucy hugs me. "I'm so happy for you, America. Two beautiful children," she says. Aspen nods, not saying anything. He's never really warmed up to Maxon. But I feel he is getting more friendly with him. Which is wonderful.

"Here," Lucy says, pushing a gift into my free hand. "It's nothing special."

"I'm sure it's wonderful," Maxon says. "Thank you."

"There's one more thing we want to tell you," Lucy says, awkwardly twirling her hair. She looks at Aspen.

"Uh," Aspen continues. "We would like to move out... into our own house."

At first, I don't know what to say. But I get over the initial shock and say, "If that's what you want... I'm sure we could make that work." I pause, looking over at Maxon. He looks back and nods.

"Of course. Are you going to quit your job, as well?" Maxon asks.

They both nod. I can't breathe. I can't imagine Lucy not being here in the palace. Or Aspen- I always felt safe because I knew he was here, protecting me. Lucy was always a friend, and Aspen and I were just making up. Is this why they both have been avoiding me? I haven't talked to Lucy in a long time.

I sigh. "Well, we can arrange for that to happen, I guess." I reach in to hug Lucy with one arm. "I'll miss you here at the palace, though."

"Don't worry. We won't move far," she replies.

I pat her on the back and pull away. "Well, thank you for the gift."

She nods and pulls Aspen out the door. Right before the door shuts between us, I see Aspen's sad eyes looking back at me.

No. I must've imagined it,

He's over me...

Right?

---------

Oh my gosh, 1000 READS! Thank you all so much! 

If you have any ideas, feel free to tell me! I would love your positive and negative feedback! Leave some reviews in the comment or send me a message!

I love all my readers! Thank you!

Love,

Eve