Part 17

I hear a yawn and look over at the bed. Maxon is just waking up. 

"Good morning," I say, walking over to him and hugging him.

He looks at me quizzically. "When did you wake up?"

"Five-thirty." I yawn on cue.

He jumps up. "You were? America, you should've waken me up! I would've helped you plan!" He rubs my shoulders and slides out of bed. "You shouldn't have to do all the work yourself."

I smile. "It's fine. Everything's set. Everyone knows about it except Gerad."

He kisses me on the forehead. "He's going to be so happy."

"Can you believe he's already talking? He's only turning two today. He's really early!" I exclaim proudly.

"That's my boy." Suddenly he freezes, the smile falling off his face. "Am I my father?" he whispers.

I shake my head violently. "No, no, of course not! You're an amazing father. You've never harmed Gerad, and you never will. I'm sure of it."

He frowns. "What if I become him?"

"You won't. And if you do, we'll get through it together. But I don't even have to think about 'what if' because I'm sure it won't happen."

He nods his head and closes his eyes. Leaning my head on his shoulder, I think about my own father. I see some of him in Gerad. The way he smiles; I even hear some similarities in the way they laugh. He should be here, watching his grandchildren growing up.

I snap out of it. "All right, Maxon, we have work to do! We have to make sure everything is perfect before the time of the party!"

"What time is the party?" he yawns, and I laugh.

"Noon. We're serving lunch and dessert. The cooks already have everything ready. They're bringing it into the room now. The maids are finishing the decorations, and everything is perfectly fine." I pause, lowering my voice. "Lucy won't be coming. People have been trying to talk to her, but she won't open her door."

"Have you tried?"

I nod. "Many times."

"How about trying: By order of the queen, open the door!"

I laugh at the way he says it, in a big booming voice. I swat his shoulder. "This is serious!" I exclaim.

"I know. We'll figure something out after the party. And by the way, we need guards surrounding the room. Who knows what those... E.T.M.s are doing."

I nod and rush out the room, calling behind me, "I'll get that set up. I have a feeling Gerad is awake- go keep him entertained until the party. You know what to do at noon, right?"

He nods. 

I give him a thumbs up and run to the nearest guard. Usually, it would've been Aspen standing there. Now... I shut my eyes and shake out the thought.

"Hello, Officer..." I look down at his name tag. "White. Can I have you and some other guards surrounding the room Gerad's birthday party will be at?"

He bows. "Of course, Queen America."

I laugh. "No need to bow. And call me America." I smile and walk towards the room.

Opening the door, my eyes widen. "Oh, this is so beautiful!" I exclaim. Anne and Mary immediatley run to me. 

"You like it?" Mary asks.

"Of course!" I say, hugging her.

Anne adds, "Is there anything we should change?"