Part 23

I signed the divorce papers because I didn't know what else to do. He hates me. I'm sure this time. And the wedding is already planned.

It's today.

My baby bump is barely visible. I haven't been eating. Poor baby.

Maybe I'll get an abortion. Maxon doesn't want another baby with me.

After the wedding I'm going home, taking my family with me.

I walk down the hall with Gerad in my arms. Maxon took Amberly to be the flower girl. She's adorable- I just wish she wasn't the flower girl for Kriss's wedding.

As I walk through the gates for the wedding, I meet eyes with Kriss accidentally.

She smirks.

Really?

You win.

I look down at my feet and sit down. Tears are coming but I choke them back. Not the time.

Surely, for the rest of my life, I will be depressed. Maxon was the one. And now he's been snatched from me.

Sooner than I expect, music plays and Amberly walks down the aisle throwing flowers. She grins and me and I smile back.

Then Kriss comes. She looks stunning, I will say that much. Probably more stunning than I looked.

And Maxon must think the same.

He's staring at her like he's never seen beauty.

Then she reaches Maxon. They smile at each other and hold hands.

I sigh.

But now I realize something: I still love him. And I will always love him. True love is wanting them to be happy no matter what. So if he's happy with Kriss, then I'm happy. I guess.

The minister says something that I don't hear. Or maybe I just wasn't paying attention.

But loud and clear, I hear Kriss's "I do."

The minister turns towards Maxon. I hold my breath. Maybe he will back out. Then again, he probably won't. Actually, he definitely won't.

I swear Maxon looks at me before he says anything. And to my horror, he says, "I do." Except for the "do" part. He's cut off by a gunshot.

I run towards Amberly instinctively who is waddling toward me and crying. Gerad is still in my arms.

I run for shelter. A bush is the best I could find.

Hiding my kids, I peek over the bush. I see faces that I recognize.

Northern rebels.

Northern rebels?

Northern rebels!

They've come to stop the wedding!

They were the ones that tried to convince Maxon to pick me, that befriended me, that wanted me to be queen.

They're not going to kill anyone... are they?

My eyes land on Kriss. She's on the ground, clutching her leg. To my surprise, Maxon isn't with her.

"Maxon!" I screech. "Maxon where are you?"

Anne appears within seconds. "Go find him. I'll stay here."

I smile in thanks and run into the chaos. People are everywhere, running in every direction. I see something peeking out from a table.

It must be Maxon.

"Maxon! Are you hurt?" I yell, ducking under the table.

"No," he says. "I'm fine. Is Kriss hurt?"

"Her leg was shot."

He looks at me. Gently, almost.

"America, how many times am I going to make the same mistake?"

I look at him, confused.

"Remember? I almost picked Kriss. But the rebels stopped that from happening."

I nod slowly.

"And I've made that mistake once again." He swallows. "How many times are you going to let me do it?"

I cry and wrap Maxon in a hug. "Oh, Maxon, I thought this was it for us."

"I will never make that mistake again."

I wipe away tears and kiss him. He kisses me back.

"Maxon, these aren't the E.T.M rebels," I whisper. "They're the Northern rebels!"

"What?"

"The Northern rebels want us together. They didn't come to hurt anyone. They came to help me and end you and Kriss's wedding!"

He smiles. "Thank God."

The gunshots stop. I look out from under the table. I see a rebel I recognize and they give me a thumbs up before disappearing into the woods.

I'm going to have to thank them sometime.

"Come on, Maxon. It's over."

I pull him out from under the table.

Kriss looks at us evilly, with blood gushing from her wound.

Doctors carry her away. The minister walks over to Maxon.

"Do you want to finish the wedding? All you have to do is say your vows."

He nods. I gasp. He's still carrying through?

"I..."

I look at him in horror.

"...don't."

I squeal and hug him.

I love him.

And he loves me.

It will be that way forever.

-

A week later, it's me walking down the aisle- again. This time it's not a grand wedding. Only my family, Marlee and a few guards and maids are there.

And guess what?

Lucy is one of my bridesmaids.

For the first time in weeks, she's come out of her room. People have been feeding her, but not very often and she still looks really skinny.

Thank goodness there's a lot of food here. And whether or not she wants to she's eating it.

Amberly walks down the aisle, this time beaming because her mommy is getting married to her daddy again. She doesn't understand any of it, but she knows that it's a good thing.

I walk down after her, unable to contain the smile that bursts onto my face.

Maxon smiles back at me. In his eyes I see love, regret, and... true beauty. Maybe he thinks I'm beautiful after all.

I reach him and we hold hands. This time I sigh out of happiness.

The minister says something. Once again, I'm not paying attention. I'm distracted my Maxon's handsome smile and dreamy eyes.

"I do."

Maxon smiles and when it's his turn he says,

"I do. Of course I do."

"You may kiss the bride."

-

For all you people that said you were going to tickle me to death if Maxon and America didn't end up together *cough* KatiMEE *cough* I hope you're happy.

I'm a hardcore Maxerica shipper so of course they'll end up together.

Maybe...

You'll never know.

Muahaha.

Eve