Part 1: Gerad's Selection

Did ya miss me? Well, I'm back (sort of) and I started to read this story and I fell in love with the Selection all over again.

And I'm so excited for the release of "The Queen"! ONE MORE MONTH!

Hope you enjoy!

-

-Gerad-

I walk into the Report room just in time. People are everywhere, rushing around to get everything in the right place.

I'm already sweating; whether it's the heat of the lights or the anxiety, I don't know. 

"Gerad! There you are!" my mother exclaims, racing over to me, closely followed by my father. "We were wondering where you were."

My father smiles. "I have some last minute advice for you, son," he says lightly. He pulls me to the side while my mother goes and sets herself up for the show.

I listen carefully, devouring every word he says.

"Make sure you get to know the girls before you start to judge them, based on their looks or anything else. Know their personality." He swallows. "I didn't get to know America before I judged her. Back when we had castes, before we eliminated them, that was all I cared about. She was a Five. I thought I wouldn't like her because of that."

I raise my eyebrows. "Seriously?"

He nods. "But anyway, don't focus on looks. People can't help the way they look. It's how they're born. But they can choose their personalities."

I nod as he continues. "Your mother and I will be whispering to you comments about the girls. That will make it easier for you. Just smile, raise your eyebrows, or do whatever you do." He laughs.

"I'll try my best," I say nervously.

"Oh, Gerad. You'll do fine, trust me. I was more nervous than you, I'm sure. My father chose the ladies because of their connections. We didn't do the same for you, though. We picked the girls based off their personalities, and somewhat of looks."

"Thanks, Dad," I murmur as he hugs me.

"Five minutes!" someone calls.

"Alright, Son. You'll do great," he says, patting my back, not so gently. He walks over and stands next to my mother, kissing her cheeks. She blushes.

Amberly and Logan run up to me. "Gerad!" they chant, grinning at me. "Are you excited?" Amberly asks.

I almost laugh. "Excited? That only begins to describe how I feel..."

Amberly nods and Logan, deciding he's bored, walks over to our parents.

"I have some advice for you," she adds. "You have to smile for all of the girls. Do you hear me?"

"Yes, I-"

"Good. You see, you can't make one feel more special than another. I mean, that's going to happen whether you want it to or not, but don't totally look disgusted for one of the girls. That would totally destroy her." She pauses. "Make them feel pretty, because I'm sure all of them are." She smiles so sweetly. She's going to get along great with the ladies.

"One minute! Everyone get in their places!" Gavril comes up to all the royal family and reviews the script with us, preparing us for what's to come. My face heats up as time ticks by. Soon my face will be on the screen, watching me react to all the ladies who are called.

Amberly squeezes my hand as the cameras start filming. I smile down at her. She's always been my closest friend. Logan is more of a parents type of kid; always around mother and father.