Part 2

I was always immature. No matter how old I was, I seemed to still be a child. I remember being 15, expected to have a boyfriend and do things a mature woman would do. But I still ran around the halls with Logan, played pranks on Gerad, and enjoyed my time not having any responsibility.

But I've grown up. I've had no choice. I now eat less, study more. Joke less, wear more makeup. Dress in less bright colors, look more like a queen.

To be honest, no one noticed. So many things were happening to everyone else in my family that no one had the time to notice me. And then they all left. 

My father has been pressing me extremely hard lately. Since I'm going to be the next queen of Illéa, I guess he should be, but it's really stressing me out. So much paperwork, so little time.

Not to mention, it's now my job to review all the newsletters, magazines, and articles in Illéa. And the one on the table in front of me is the sixteenth one that's mentioned how unfit I am to rule the country.

A single tear slips down my cheek and I throw the papers off the table, letting out a strangled cry. I can't take this. I really can't.

Looking over paperwork and profiles of young men for the past four days with no sleep has obviously done me no good. I am now at least somewhat familiar with all the suitors, who are coming tomorrow. That makes me feel a bit better, but barely relieves any of my stress.

I walk out of my office, my posture sagging a bit. The maroon gown I wear seems to be dragging me down, and I feel the need to take it off. Once I get to my room, I do just that, and replace it with a comfortable nightgown. I wipe all the makeup off my face, but I stop myself from crying anymore. Tomorrow is the big day. I can't let myself meet my future husband with puffy eyes.

With that thought, I get into bed and allow myself to drift into sleep.

-

My eyes fly open as soon as I feel a hand on my arm. I jolt upright, facing my maid, Paige. 

"What time is it?" I ask frantically, searching my room for a clock.

"Nine o'clock, miss," Paige replies, putting a gentle hand on my knee to calm me. "You have plenty of time to prepare. The suitors are to arrive at two in the afternoon, so they can eat lunch in their rooms and will have time to get ready to meet you. You will not meet with them until three."

A relieved sigh escapes my lips, and I take Paige's hand with both of mine. "Today I want an icy blue gown. As elegant and beautiful as you can find. And I want my hair up as fancy as you can do. I'm thinking silver heels... And we'll figure out makeup later." I kiss her cheek, squeeze her hand, and rush to the bathroom to take a bath.

Last night was terrible. I was feeling broken and helpless, but today I have a refreshed outlook on this all. The sleep I got really helped with that, since it was the first night I had filled with sleep in four days.

The warm water relaxes me even more. The stress isn't completely gone, but to my surprise, I find myself somewhat excited to meet the men later today. My father will release most of the pressure he's been putting on me since I'll be occupied with my Selection, which will do me good. 

And maybe for the first time in my life, I'll find true love.

After my bath, I dry myself off and allow Paige to dry my hair and proceed to dress me in the icy blue gown I requested. It's breathtaking- and it brings out my sharp eyes, which I got from my mother. My heart aches thinking about her; she's so far away when I need her most.

I sigh and look at myself in the mirror once the dress is all tied up in the back. It's truly beautiful, tight from my chest to my waist and then flowing from there to the floor. My strawberry-blonde hair has gotten incredibly long over the past few months, almost down to my waist. It curls a bit at the end, but it's completely natural. As I look at my reflection, I see something I've never seen before. I've always noticed how my eyes resemble my mother's, but I never realized how much my facial structure is similar to my father's. I blink a few times, gaping at the mirror.

"Is everything alright, miss?" Paige asks softly, making a few finishing touches to my dress.

"Yes, Paige, but I have a question." I turn to face her and furrow my eyebrows. "Do I look like my father?"

She looks up at me, her eyes wide. I've always expressed my feelings to her, and a subject that often comes up is how I don't connect with my father at all.

"I've always thought so, miss," she says with a wide grin on her face. "I've been waiting for you to see it, too."

I let out a small laugh and a smile crosses my face. I need to give my father some credit. Being king, he already had enough stress in his life. And maybe my mother was right- maybe he was just scared of hurting me. 

The moment that my father told me why my grandparents were no longer here breaks my heart to this day. I'll never forget his voice cracking as he told me that his parents were killed in a rebel attack. I started crying myself when he told me that his father abused him, and his mother was the only person who ever showed him kindness until the women came to his palace for his Selection.

Paige brings out my makeup kit and decides what she's going to do. I didn't know what I wanted, so I told her to do what she thought was best. She tells me to close my eyes, and I do as she says. Before long, she tells me I can open my eyes again. One look in the mirror reminds me of why I love her.

I suck in a deep breath as Paige asks me what jewelry I want to wear. She holds out multiple silver accessories, but I walk towards my dresser and pull out a necklace that I've never worn before. My father gave me this necklace, and said it was his mother's. I'm named after Queen Amberly, one of the best queens Illéa had ever seen, and an amazing mother. 

With a small smile, Paige clips the necklace on. I point to a bracelet that was my mother's, which she had left here when she left for England. 

"Good choice, miss," Paige murmurs and slides the bracelet onto my arm.

I wrap her in a hug, whispering, "Thank you for everything," slip on a pair of silver heels she had picked out for me, and walk out of my room.

My legs carry me to my father's office. I knock on the door, hoping he's not in a meeting.

"Come in," he calls, and I step cautiously into the room, walking slowly towards him.

"Hi, Dad," I murmur, taking a deep breath.

Looking me up and down, he pushes away from his desk and rises. "You look gorgeous, darling."

I blush and watch as he moves around his desk and towards me. His eyes go directly to my necklace, which brings tears to his eyes.

Not being able to hold myself back any longer, I embrace him in a tight hug, doing everything I can to stop myself from crying.

"I love you, Dad."

"I love you too, my dear."

-

Sorry, this may have been a slow chapter for some of you, but I felt it was necessary to get into Amberly's head a little more before we dived into her Selection, since I haven't written about her at all before now. SHE'LL MEET THE SUITORS NEXT CHAPTER!

Are you guys surprised that she's really not the happy-go-lucky girl she once was? I think that since her family was her life, seeing everyone leave broke her a bit.

But now Maxon and her are on good terms, which makes me happy :))

Okay honestly, writing this chapter made me cry. It's making me remember Maxon and America's story and how young Maxon was and now his children are all grown up WTF I'M HURTING MYSELF WRITING THIS!!!!

Okay okay anyways. Are you guys still liking this story? Please put your opinions in the comments, it really helps me improve this story when you do. I'm writing this for you guys, so I hope you all still enjoy it :)