Part 2

whale it's only been a day and I need to write more. I know it's been out for forever, but I never got my hands on "The Prince & The Guard," so I just finished that yesterday. And I'm really depressed because I have no more Selection to read until December. so here I am updating again.

enjoy this chapter!

-

-Gerad-

I wring my hands as I pace back and forth. My maids all tell me I get that from my both my mother and father. During my father's Selection they were both nervous wrecks, I've heard. I hope I'm not the same way.

But I doubt I won't make a fool of myself. I'm already stressed out more than I ever have been before, and the girls aren't even here yet.

Checking my watch, I swallow.

One hour.

One hour until my life changes for good.

One hour until I meet my future wife.

-one hour later-

Footsteps stampede in the hallway to wear I'm standing. My father has told me time and time again about his Selection. We've decided to change things up a bit. This time, I'll be able to meet the girls one on one the day they get here, just after they got a makeover. 

Giggles fill my ears and my breathing heavies. Am I really ready for thirty five girls intruding in my life? Maybe...

... and maybe not.

As soon as the girls turn the corner leading to the hallway I'm standing in, I immediatley recognize Amberly in the bunch. She fits right in. Giving me a bright grin, she calls out to me. "Hello!"

Immediatley all the girls look up at me and gasp. One even faints, and the girls around her shriek and catch her.

"Oh God," I murmur under my breath. I walk over to the girls and pick up the one who fainted. She wakes up and looks at me, blushing fiercly. "I'm so sorry, Prince Gerad." She hurries to get up.

"What's your name?" I ask. 

"Alyssa," she replies quietly. "Your Majesty."

I smile. "You okay, Lady Alyssa?"

She nods, blushing deeper, and stands up.

I clear my throat and walk back to the front of the crowd.

"What a way to start," I say, laughing softly. "Well, welcome to the palace ladies. Forgive me if I don't get your name right away, I've never been good with them." I smile nervously. "But I will learn them eventually." I pause, swallowing, wiping the sweat pooling in my hands on my pants descretely. "Now that you've been around the palace for about an hour, you will now get to talk to me one on one. And then after that, there will be lunch with the whole royal family."

The girls whisper quietly among themselves.

"May I stay?" Amberly asks quietly. I nod, smiling, and she cheers.

I gesture to one of the girls in the front. "What's your name?"

"Emma," she says, blushing. What is it with these girls and blushing?

"Lady Emma," I say smiling politely. "Can you please follow me?" I extend my hand out to her. She takes it with a smile and I lead her into the room.

We sit down and I take a deep breath. She's a gorgeous girl. She reminds me a little bit about Amberly.

"So, darling, how are you enjoying the palace?" I ask.

"Oh, it's beautiful! Ger- urm, Prince Gerad, it must be wonderful to live here. I'm so jealous!"

Okay, a little more honest than I expected. But maybe I wanted that?

"Well, I'm glad you're enjoying it. And yes... it is a blessing to live here. But it's not always what it seems." I clear my throat. "What do you like to do?"

"I'm sort of a nerd," she admits. "I like to read and write, and draw. And a lot of other nerdy things."

I laugh to myself. "Nerdy isn't a bad thing."

She blushes.

"Well, it was nice meeting you." I take her hand and kiss the top of it lightly. She blushes deeper. "But I have thirty five girls to meet," I say with a chuckle. "Send the next girl in please."

She curtsies. "Thank you Prince Gerad." She walks out.

And then the next person comes in. She's so quiet, I didn't even notice her presence. I was too busy catching my breath and thinking over everything I had done wrong with Emma.

"Excuse me Prince Gerad?" a sweet voice asks, cutting into my thoughts.

My head snaps up, and I immediatley melt. Breanne. I'd recognize her anywhere.

"Lady Breanne," I say, out of breathe. Damn. There is just something about this girl.

"Y-You know my name?" she says with a shy smile crawling across her face.

I take a moment to think of a response. Yes, I know your name. But it's not because you're my favorite. Or- is it?

I nod nervously. "I just happened to catch some of the names on the Report," I lie. "Sit down," I add, changing the subject.

"I just want to tell you how much I've enjoyed the palace so far," she says, taking a seat across from me. She gestures down at her dress, in which she looks stunning. "I-I just can't believe this is real."

"Oh, it's real alright," I say chuckling. "You... you look gorgeous."

What am I doing? Jesus! I'm just setting myself up for failure.

Her mouth drops open a little bit. "Y-You r-really think so?"

I nod. "What's with the stuttering? Are you nervous?"

She laughs and looks down, shaking her head. "No, well, not overly nervous, because I mean, you're a prince... anyway, well, I've been stuttering since... well, I shouldn't bother you with it."

"Tell me," I insist. "You won't bother me."

"Well, I've just been bullied quite a lot, and I was humiliated in front of a lot of people." She swallows. "And I guess since then, I've never felt comfortable enough for them to go away." She shrugs. "Oh well."

I smile simpathetically. "It was a pleasure meeting you, Lady Breanne." I take her hand and help her up, not kissing it though. I don't want to push it.

"The pleasure is mine, Prince Gerad." She curtsies and walks quickly out of the room, smiling. That's a good sign, right?

So many more girls came in. Some were obviously not for me. And some stuck out at me. 

But none of them made me feel as right as Breanne.

And seven of the girls are gone by lunch.

-

Hope you enjoyed! Thanks so much for 20,000 reads!

Stay cool,
Eve