Part 5: The Last Chapter

"Your majesty."

I spin around to face the source of the voice, which happens to be a guard. He's breathing heavily and has a look of panic displayed clearly on his face. "Yes? What's wrong?"

He furrows his eyebrows, and in a hushed voice, says, "It's gotten into the palace."

I tilt my head, confused. "What has?"

"The disease."

The glass of water I was holding drops from my hand, shattering on the floor. For a moment, I'm completely speechless. It couldn't have. We took every precaution.

"How?"

"I... I believe a servant was visiting family... And the family came down with it. But the servant didn't know and returned before they showed any symptoms... before she knew."

My hand makes its way to my mouth, as I stand there, completely stunned.

"It's spreading rapidly, Your Majesty. A quarter of the servants are already sick, and some of the members of court, and we only learned about this this morning. And..." He pauses, shaking his head. "And... well, Your Majesty...."

"Where is Maxon?" I murmur, no longer paying attention to the guard. "Where is my husband?" 

"Your Majesty...."

When I turn back to look at him, the sorrow in his eyes makes my stomach drop. No... Maxon.

I start running, not knowing where he even is, though if my assumption is right he would already be quarantined in the hospital wing, so that's where my legs take me. To my horror, the wing is swamped with people when I arrived. This many people would never be in the hospital wing... unless... unless a royal was there.

"Maxon," I cry, pushing my way through the crowd. "Maxon!"

When I reach the front of the mass of people, I find myself standing before a glass wall. And behind the glass wall, lies my husband. Pale, weak... dying.

"No..." I choke back tears as I lift my hand up to touch the glass. The only thing stopping me from completely breaking down is the disbelief. This can't be happening. This is just a bad dream - it has to be, right? Maxon is untouchable; he is good, he is strong, and he cannot be dying.

A gentle hand on my shoulder pulls me out of my thoughts. I turn my head slowly, tears making their way down my cheeks. To my side stands a doctor, his eyes filled with sorrow, confirming my worst fears.

"Your Majesty," he begins. "Because of His Majesty's age and the toll stress has taken on his body, the odds are... the odds are not good. I am sorry to bring you this news, but it is the reality of this situation. We are doing everything we can to keep him healthy."

I zoned out halfway through the doctor's speech, staring through the glass. "Let me in," I murmur.

"What?" he asks, taken aback.

"Let me in. I want to be with him."

He clears his throat, furrowing his eyebrows. "Your Majesty, that's not wise. This disease is extremely contagious and you would most definitely get sick."

"I know. Let me in." I look him in the eyes, my expression hardened. "That is a command, from your queen."

The doctor stops arguing, seeming to understand my desperation. "At least let me get you proper protective equipment." 

"I don't want any of it." My voice is barely a whisper now. "I just want to be with my husband."

"Your Majesty, you understand the risk, right? Do you know what that would mean?"