Part 3

Hi again. I really don't have anything to say. So enjoy.

Oh wait. By the way, if no POV is specified, it's from Gerad's POV.

-

-A few days later-

I review the sheets of the twenty-eight remaining girls for the fifth time tonight. I can't risk forgetting a name, or mistaking one girl for another. Is it bad that after almost a week I still don't know all the girls very well?

When I finally go to sleep, I have twisted dreams about the girls ganging up on me and killing me in my sleep. Then those deranged images turn into light, kind ones, about my marriage. And the girl I married was a dark brunnette. Of course, there are many dark brunettes in the Selection. And I can't let a dream influence my choices.

But I can't help but wonder.

Does this dream mean anything?

-the next day-

"Silvia!" I shout, seeing her walking briskly down the hall. She stops immediatley, curtsies, and smiles.

"What can I do for you Your Majesty?"

I smile. "Do they girls know they're going on their first dates today?"

She nods. "Yes, we have been reviewing the etiquette for being with you one on one. There is one problem though..."

"What is it?" I cock my head to the side. A problem?

"With one of the girls." She swallows.

"Who is  it?" I furrow my eyebrows.

"It's Breanne, Your Majesty. She's extremely disobedient. She claims girls shouldn't be judged based on how lady-like they are but who they are inside." She looks down. "I've failed you. I'm deeply sorry."

"No need to be sorry, Silvia." I pat her on the arm. "I'll speak to her."

"You should send her home," she whispers. "She isn't deserving."

My breath catches in my throat. "S-Send her home? She's that bad?"

She nods silently.

I shake my head. "But when I met with her, she was such a sweet girl..."

She shakes her head and shrugs. "I don't know what to tell you. She hasn't been working in class and refuses to do anything I tell her to."

"That's so strange," I say sadly. "Thank you, Silvia. Please, if she is any more trouble to you, send her to me. Thank you for everything."

She curtsies. "Anytime, Prince Gerad." She half-smiles and quickly scurries away.

As soon as she leaves, I let out the breath I didn't know I was holding. Breanne? Disobedient? I would've never guessed. 

And I had such high hopes for her.

I try to think of reasons she would act this way. Maybe she has her reasons. No matter what she's thinking, I'm sure she has good intentions.

I hope.

I start to walk to my room, debating what I should do in my free time before I start having dates with the girls. And I have to decide which girl to go on a date with first.

As soon as I turn the corner I walk right into one of the girls, sprawling us both on the floor. I suck in a huge breath, trying not to show the throbbing pains in the back of my head.

"Oh my gosh! Prince Gerad! I'm so sorry." She runs over to me and helps me up. I smile at her when she does so.

"It's alright Lady... Brooke." I silently congratulate myself. I actually remembered her name.

She smiles shyly. "I was just going to the women's room because I can't find anyone else in this palace, so I'm assuming they're all in there."

I jump on the opportunity. "Actually, would you rather go on a walk in the gardens with me?"

Her emerald eyes widen. And for the first time, I realize how beautiful she is. Before, she never stuck out at me, but that's simply because she's the common girl. She blends in, and her interests aren't very original. But now she does stick out to me. She's gorgeous, for one, but kindness just radiates off of her. She's one of those people that makes you happy when you're around her, just by being there. I can tell already.

"Me? You want to walk with me?" She blushes, but she tries to hide it. At least she tried.

"I do, Lady Brooke. Do you?" I hold out my arm, hoping she'll put her arm in mine. I have to do that, as a prince. Honestly, I find it kind of aggravating.

To my relief, she slides her small arm in through mine. While Breanne has a more muscly structure, like she's very independent and has fought for herself, Brooke seems fragile, almost like she's been broken before.

Breanne seems to have some... issues. I still like her, though. I'll get to the bottom of her lies and truths soon. But for now, I have to focus on Brooke.

"S-So, Prince Gerad," she says shyly. I can feel her cold arm shivering. "What's it like being  a prince?"

I chuckle softly. Two girls with stutters. "It's not what you would think," I state simply.

"What is it like, then?"

I raise my eyebrows. Questioning me? Is that normal?

"Sorry," she says quickly. "That was rude." She looks down, obviously embarrassed.

"No, B- urm, Lady Brooke, it's okay." I turn to look towards her and she looks deep into my eyes, and I look into hers.

"Everyone sees it as jewels and glamour, power and freedom." I swallow. I've never told anyone about my feelings toward being a prince. "But that's not what it really is. You see, I was born into the family. I have no choice... I have to rule someday, no matter what. Unless I gave the crown to Amberly..." I shake my head. "Anyway, it's not freedom at all. Sure, we get to decide what everyone does, but my parents have worked so hard at being fair, as well. Being cruel isn't part of the deal. We have responsibility, and no free time. Hard work."

She nods. "You don't like being prince?" She tilts her head to the side.

"I... I never said that..." Did she really get that out of all that? Or was it obvious?

"No, no, of course not." She sighs. "Sorry, Your Majesty."

I shake my head. Are all these girls acting like they need protecting? Is that their plan to win me over?

"Don't apologize," I say quietly.

And then, something peculiar happens.

She lifts herself up, since I'm somewhat taller than her, putting her hands on my shoulders. I freeze, not knowing what to do. Is she going to kiss me? But she misses my mouth, and then my face entirely. She puts her mouth next to my ear and whispers, "Look behind you, Prince Gerad."

My eyes slowly widen as she steps down. I whirl around to see one of the girls and Amberly, stunned.

"Jesus Christ," I mutter under my breath. Brooke looks at her shoes and I walk towards the two other girls. I recognize the Selected girl as Sadie. Blonde hair blue eyes. Easy to remember.

"Lady Sadie, Amberly." I smile at them. "Can I help you two?"

"No," Amberly says. "We were just going on a walk. I was getting to know the girls. And then we see you here. With... who is that? Brooke?"

I nod.

"Ah. Well... let's turn back, Sadie." Sadie hasn't said a word to me yet. She slowly looks up at me, sadness in her expression.

"Alright, Amberly." She smiles at me slightly and curtsies, turning around.

As soon as they turn the corner I walk quickly back to Brooke. "I'm sorry Lady Brooke."

She nods, blushing deeply. And then she just...

runs away.

-

I desperately want to meet Kiera Cass. Like a lot. That's all I have to say.

-Eve