Part 1: America and Maxon continuation

It's official. I'm continuing America and Maxon's story from where we left off after Gerad's Selection.

*IF NOT SPECIFIED, THIS IS TOLD FROM AMERICA'S POV*

-

"Good morning Gerad. Gwendolyn." I nod my head at my son and my daughter in law each in turn, smiling in their directions. "Did you sleep well?"

"Yes Mom," Gerad replies, taking his seat at the breakfast table. Gwendolyn sits down next to him, smiling politely at Maxon and me before looking down at her plate.

That's strange- the both of them are being awfully quiet today. At least, more quiet than usual.

Soon after they're seated, Amberly comes running into the dining hall with a huge smile on her face.

"Good morning Amberly. I assume you slept well?" Maxon says, laughing.

"Oh, yes. I had the most wonderful dream!" she exclaims, hurriedly taking a seat across from Gerad.

"Please do tell us more," I chime in, grinning at her. There's nothing like Amberly to warm up your morning.

"Oh, it was great. The flowers all opened up as I walked by them and there were no clouds in the sky and the sun was shining bright..." Her words echo through the room. "And when I woke up I was almost disappointed." She laughs, shaking her head.

"It sounds wonderful," Gwendolyn says. Her first words all morning.

"It was, Gwen," Amberly murmurs, giggling.

Silence consumes the room as everyone waits for permission to eat.

Maxon is always the one to grant us permission, but he can't do that until everyone is seated.

"Has anyone seen Logan today?" he asks, staring at Logan's empty chair.

"Ashlyn hasn't left yet. He must be with her," Gerad answers. "That's where he usually is."

"I see." Maxon sighs. "Well, I suppose we'll just have to start without him. I won't let his tardiness starve you all." With a slight laugh, he adds, "You can start eating."

Without a word, everyone digs in. Maxon and I make eye contact from opposite ends of the table, and I slowly reach my fingers up to my ear and tug. With a look of surprise, he does the same. I nod my head and avert my eyes, continuing to eat.

It's not like I wouldn't be seeing Maxon soon away, but I desperately need to talk to him. There are so many things going on with our children these days. Including Gerad, though he's barely a child anymore.

As I spoon my eggs into my mouth, I can't help but think about all the memories our family has collected over the years. One day, Gerad will be too old for our advice and will want to make his own way in this world. And the sad truth is that that day is sooner than we think.

Is it real that Gerad is almost twenty? Yes, it must be. He was nineteen all through his Selection, so his twentieth birthday is just around the corner. Wow, he's grown up so fast- almost too fast.

I remember when I was pregnant with him; the fear that consumed Maxon and I. We had no idea what a beautiful thing my accidental pregnancy would become.

Wait.

"So Gerad, Gwendolyn," I say, breaking the silence. I think I know why they're so quiet this morning. "You're not very talkative today."

"Long night," Gwen whispers, looking over at Gerad. He nods in agreement.

"Is that all?" I ask, and Gerad's eyes widen. Even Maxon looks at me in concern.