Part 4

Hey everyone! Happy March! I hope you're all doing well. I reaaaally don't want this story to end because I love writing it so much, but this has been a 7+ year project and I think it's time to finish it. This will probably be the 2nd to last chapter. I hope you enjoy :)

-

"I think the dress is too long. Is it supposed to be like this? I don't look right."

I giggle, taking Amberly's hands in mine. "Darling, you look like a queen. My dress was the same way. Uncomfortable and... well, different, but regal nonetheless."

"What if we're not ready? What if we mess up what you worked so hard to build?" She gives me a pleading look.

Taking her arm, we sit down on the nearest couch. "You and your father have been working extremely close in the last few months. You know everything he does and exactly how he does it. You've proven yourself to be more than worthy of his crown, and you will take this country in a new, beautiful direction, just like we did."

She sighs, looking at the ceiling. "Was Dad nervous? How did he handle it?"

"Of course he was nervous! It would be concerning if someone about to take the throne wasn't at least a little apprehensive." I give her a small smile. "But just like you, he was ready. And everyone knew it, too. He was respected and adored, as are you."

"But this country has never had a queen leading them. Always a king. Won't the people be extra critical of me?"

"Even if they are, just show the people what women can do, my love." Winking, I tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear. "Besides, you will always have Xander by your side, and I believe he will make an excellent king consort."

She beams, finding my eyes with hers again. "I know he will. I'm still worried about his heart, but now he has the best doctors in the country looking after him. So much better than what he had before he came to the palace."

"You've changed his life in so many ways already, and you will continue to do so for the rest of your rule and your marriage."

She nods before standing up and looking at her reflection in the mirror. I have never seen someone look so beautiful, elegant, mature... perfect. I could not be more proud. After all the hardships she has faced through her life; criticism from her people, her brothers leaving, a difficult relationship with her father in her childhood, and far too much death; here she is. Becoming our queen.

I walk up behind her, squeezing her shoulders. "You're ready. You will be a fair, loving, and tolerant ruler. A queen that commands respect and adoration. A wife and mother that takes care of her family before everything else. A daughter that will never fail to make me proud."

"I love you, Mom," she whispers, tears in her eyes.

"I love you too, more than you know. And don't forget, even if you are unsure of yourself or come to a difficult decision, your father and I will always be here. Just because you're taking our place, doesn't mean we can't help you."

"I know. Thank you." She smiles at our reflection. "Can you get Dad? I want to speak to him for a minute."

"Of course. I will see you out there, my dearest daughter." I leave the room, wiping away my own tears.

Waiting outside the room is Maxon, who is pacing nervously. He runs up to me as soon as he sees me, raising his eyebrows. "How is she doing? Is she nervous?"

Laughing, I reply, "I think you look more nervous than she is." I pause. "She's ready. She wants to talk to you, though."

He nods, understanding. With a kiss on the cheek, he walks into Amberly's preparation room.