Part 14

I wake up to a bright light. My head is pounding and my body feels stiff- almost like I can't move.

Someone is gripping my hand, calling my name.

"America, America, can you hear me?"

I know that voice. I just don't remember who's it is.

Turning my head, I yell out in pain. But I see who the voice belongs too.

But what's his name?

I know he's special to me. And the boy on his lap- I know he's special too. But I can't remember why.

"Um, hi," I say weakly.

What's his name? What is his name?

"America! You're awake!" he exclaims.

"How long was I out?"

"Four and a half days," he sighs. "We were so worried."

I look down at the boy. He smiles at me as he says, "Mommy! You wakey!"

Mommy? I'm his mommy?

Does that mean this guy is my husband?

I search my brain for names. And why I only remember these people partially.

He helps me sit up. I look down at my stomach. I'm pregnant?

"How are you feeling, America?" the man asks.

Well, now I'm sure America is me.

"Can you remind me of your name?" I ask. "And his, too?" I point at the kid.

He only gasps. "You don't remember us?"

I shake my head slightly.

"Um... No. I remember you're special to me. And when the kid said 'Mommy' I realized he must be my child, and that means we're married."

Tears stream down his face. "My dear, my name is Maxon, and this is your child Gerad."

Maxon. That rings a bell. Gerad, too.

But that's not what catches my attention.

My dear.

I remember that.

Suddenly, I pass out.

-

"I remember!" I exclaim.

Maxon looks at me with wide eyes.

"You do? You remember me? Us? Gerad? Being queen? Your family?"

I laugh. "Whoa, darling. I don't really know how it happened- but somehow all my memories came back while I was passed out the second time. But now I remember everything." Whispering, I add, "And I am not your dear."

He starts crying and leans down to hug me. Gerad climbs into my lap.

"You okay Mommy?" he asks, patting my stomach.

Laughing, I say, "I'm wonderful, Gerad."

Suddenly Maxon becomes serious. "You have stitches in your head, by the way. So a tiny patch of your hair is missing. It'll grow back... But we've alerted your maids to put your hair in hairdos that don't rip the stitches and make sure your hair looks fine."

I smile slightly. "I don't care if people see the stitches. If it's scary, then I will put my hair up. But if it's not, who cares if they see them?"

He stands up to look at my stitches.

"I don't think they're scary or ugly," he says. "Nothing can make you any less beautiful."

He kisses me and I smile. "Thank you, Maxon."

--ONE WEEK LATER--

Maxon helps me out of bed, Gerad standing close by. This is the first time I've walked for a week. The doctors said my head should be fine, no nerves were damaged, and I would be fine. The stitches would dissolve into my head and my hair would grow back.

We slowly walk back to my room. Along the way, May, Kenna and my mom come running to us. Kenna carries her toddler, and May picks up Gerad. My mom comes towards Maxon and me, relief in her eyes.

"America! The doctors wouldn't let all of us in, so we were out here not knowing what was going on! Are you okay?" she asks, grabbing my shoulder.

I bend down far enough for my mom to see my head. She gasps.

"Does it hurt?" she asks.

I nod. "A little. I'll be fine, don't worry. But I want to sleep in my bed right now. The doctor's beds aren't comfy at all!"

We all laugh. "Well, I hope you feel better," she says.

May walks over and hands me Gerad.

"He's the cutest baby ever! Well, other than Astra," May says, winking at Kenna.

I laugh and smile and May. "Thank you."

"Hope you feel better, Mer," Kenna says, half hugging me.

I nod and Maxon and I continue to our room.

-

On the report, we inform Illéa that Gerad is doing wonderful, and that we're expecting another baby in about 6 months. We tell them about my current state, and how I'll be fine.

I'm sure everything will work out. Everything will be fine.