Part 21

In honor of 3,000 reads, here's a special chapter! I will be changing between America and Maxon's POV. enjoy! If you like this kind of chapter tell me in the caption!

-

~MAXON~

"King Maxon?"

I look up, anxious. "Yes? What is it? Is America here?"

The guard looks out of breath. He only nods. Immediately, I jump out of my seat, my whole body shaking in anticipation. Racing to the door of the palace, I see a mob of people. Maids and guards and soldiers.

"America!" I call. "America, where are you?"

At my voice, the mob makes a path for me. At the end is America. I almost start crying. My beautiful America, back with me.

But she's limp.

Dead?

No, it can't be.

"Don't worry, King Maxon. She's just passed out."

I sigh in relief. "Give her to me."

Guards gently lay America in my arms. I look down at her face. Dirty, pale, bloody. Poor girl.

They leave us be. I'm grateful. America remains out as I carry her into our room. I close the door and lay her down in the bed.

Might as well clean her up. I'll have to take her to the doctor, but the dirt lining her face is something I can get rid of.

I wipe her face off with a warm towel. She has cuts and bruises, scabs and scars. She shouldn't have to be like this.

Soon her face is looking cleaner. I brush her hair. I'm not a hair stylist, so I let it hang loose. It's dirty, so I try my best to wash it. She's looking better already.

I lift up her shirt just high enough to see her back. To my horror, she has deep cuts on her back. Did they whip her? No! They wouldn't!

My back. My back- and her back, now. We have the same scars.

I pull down her shirt and call for a maid and tell her to clean up her back and give her something comfy to wear.

Then I sit on the bed next to America and wait for her to wake up.

~AMERICA~

I wake up, not remembering why I was asleep. When did I get back to the palace? How?

Michael! What happened to Michael?

I shift my head to the right. Maxon!

"Maxon!" I gasp.

He immediately jumps. "America! Oh, America! You're awake!"

I nod my head, tears jumping to my eyes. I lean in and hug him and immediately feel a searing pain in my back.

"Ow!"

He looks worried. "What's wrong?"

"My back..."

"I know. I saw." Half a smile crawls onto his face. "Now we have matching scars."

"I remember. I remember what happened. I remember why I passed out. I remember..."

~MAXON~

Why does she look so sad? She's back at the palace now. She's safe.

~AMERICA~

He's so happy... That's good, I guess, but he's too happy. Does he care about what I've gone through? He's happy that we have matching scars? No! That's wrong! How selfish!

~MAXON~

"America, why aren't you happy? Aren't you grateful you're back?"

She says nothing for a minute. Then she explodes. "Maxon, do you care what I've gone through? I mean seriously. How selfish! I've been beaten and tortured and all you care about is that we have matching scar?" She rolls her eyes. "I'm in so much pain and I've been traumatized!"

"I-I'm sorry, I didn't mean-"

"Shut up," she hisses. "I just got home and you're giving me crap."

"Well if that's how you feel, I'll find somewhere else to sleep. Why would I want to sleep next to you anyway?" I scowl. "Welcome home, America."

I walk out the door in a huff, not thinking about what I've done.

~AMERICA~

Then he leaves? Who is he to leave me like this? Sure, I may be mad, but he should be patient with me.

I flip over into my stomach, trying to make myself comfortable. Maybe I could sleep.

But every time I close my eyes, I see the dark room. The officers. The blood.

So I stay awake. I try to distract myself from everything my life has turned into. From Maxon, from the rebels.

Gerad and Amberly! I could visit them!

As fast as I can, I hobble over to the kids' room. Unfortunately, Maxon already thought of that.

As I open the door he scowls at me. "What do you want?"

I can't speak. I'm lost for words. He doesn't like me anymore. He doesn't love me. I'm sure of it.

"Uh, I just wanted to see my kids..."

"Sorry. I'm playing with them."

I gasp. "Maxon, they're my kids too!"

"Yeah, but I don't want to play with you." His gaze is serious and dark. I must've really upset him.

"Maxon, I-I'm s-so s-so-rry... I didn't mean-"

"Save it," he barks.

I walk in and lift Amberly out of her crib. I'm on the verge of tears, so I leave silently before they can spill.

When I'm back in my room, I sigh. "Amberly, what have I done?"

She just laughs and giggles and tugs on my hair.

"Oh, Amberly, I've divided the family.

That's what I've done."

-

Sorry for the short chapter. I'm on vacation, so chapters will be like this for now.

Thanks for reading and voting!

Eve