Part 10

The pain in my shoulder is only increasing. Maxon holds me tight, knowing that if he let go, I would fall. The world is spinning around me. Closing my eyes, I hear a shout.

"The king and queen are home! Send guards to help!" they yell.

I'm grateful. I need someone to come and get us.

My family rushes to us. "America! Maxon! Are you all right? What happened?" various voices ask.

"Whoa," Maxon says. "She's hurt. We need help. We'll tell you more later."

May comes and wraps her arms around me. "Mer, it'll be okay. I promise."

I would try to smile, but it's no use. Am I dying?

Soon guards come and carry me away, Maxon walking behind us. I'm pretty sure I leave a trail of blood that's flowing from my shoulder. I try not to worry. May's words echo in my head. Mer, it'll be okay. I promise. 

Aspen used to call me Mer. Now he doesn't talk to me at all.

As if he read my thoughts, Aspen cries out, "Mer- uh, Queen America! What happened?"

With all the energy and strength I have left, I hiss, "Don't talk to me."

That's what Kenna told me to do, right? Or am I hallucinating from the pain? I feel myself fading away, but not quick enough not to see Aspen's horribly sad expression.

-

I wake up in a bright white room. People buzz all around me. Doctors. Nurses. I'm safe.

It all comes flashing back to me. Aspen. I yelled at him before I passed out. Closing my eyes, I tell myself I don't care. I chose Maxon. I choose him everyday. Aspen is a hater. He doesn't support me. He doesn't care about me. That's final.

Relieved, I sigh. The doctors all turn towards me.

"How's your shoulder doing?" a doctor asks quietly.

My shoulder! I totally forgot about it! I guess I've tuned out the throbbing since I woke up. Now that I'm aware of the pain, I feel the dull throb. It's on the same arm as the other bullet wound, which makes me laugh. The bullets just have to take out my shooting arm.

"Great," I say. "It's just a throb now." Looking back at it, I notice that it's nicely stitched up. By the looks of it, it will heal fast. "Will I be able to raise my arm? Or hold a..." I stop myself. I was going to say baby. These people don't know yet.

"You should be able to. I would say give it a couple days. Rest. You'll have a lot of explaining to do the rest of the day," a woman says, rubbing my good shoulder. 

I nod.

Someone walks through the open doorway.

"Maxon!" I exclaim. I'm about to climb out of bed, but he rushes towards me.

"America! Are you all right? That was a horrible wound." He glances at my shoulder. "They did a nice job healing that up."

I smile and raise my good arm to his face, running my thumb over his cheek. "Honey, are you okay? How are you holding up?"

He sighs and sits down. "I'm doing fine. No one had come into my room yet at the rebel camp. From my understanding, that's not what you experienced?"

I shake my head. I mouth to him, Later.

"Alright, ma'am, you may leave here. Just be careful and be gentle. You should be fine. Come back tonight so we can check on you," a doctor says with a smile.

I smile back. "Thank you for fixing my shoulder."

Maxon grabs my elbow and leads me out of the room with a frown on his face.

"What's wrong?" I ask.

"It's time, America. It's been four months. You're not very big at this point, but it's noticable. The doctors didn't say anything, but do you think they haven't noticed the bump? No one believes you gained that much weight."

I don't say anything back. I haven't been on The Report since a couple months ago. I went on when I was pregnant, but no one could tell. Now, if I go on, it will be obvious. I won't need to say anything.

"Fine. I'll do it."

He's still frowning. "We need to tell them about how we were kidnapped, too."

I nod. "Of course. Should I do the talking, or should you?"

He hands me a piece of paper. "Just say what's on this script. It will be on a computer behind the camera, so if you forget your lines, just look at that. I wrote this up based on what you told me. If you need to add or fix anything, please do."

Nodding, I look over the script. All he's said is correct. 

"The Report starts in ten," Maxon says, squeezing my hand and walking away.

I walk in silence towards the room where Gavril stands, rehearsing his lines for The Report.

"Hi, Gavril," I say quietly, smiling.

"Queen America!" he exclaims, bowing. "Are you all right? I hope you're okay."

I laugh, "Gavril, I'm fine. Just a shoulder wound. Other than that, I'm okay, now that I'm back at the castle."

He looks down at my stomach, and I cover it protectively. "What?" I ask, pretending to be offended.

"Nothing, I- um, I don't know, you seem..."

I raise an eyebrow. "Pregnant?"

His eyes widen. "Are you serious, Queen America? Congratulations!"

"Thank you, Gavril. And I expect you to tell no one before the report."

"Of course, Queen America." He bows again.

"Please, Gavril. Call me America, and there's no need to bow." I smile.

"Of course, Qu- uh, America."

I laugh and enter the room. I sit there, practicing my lines as well. Maxon has written a pretty solid speech.

"It's time, Gavril!" Maxon calls. "Set everything up and get ready to be live."

He helps me up and we stand together, holding hands. "You ready?" he whispers.

"As ready as I'll ever be." I sigh.

"Live in 5, 4, 3, 2... now!" Gavril says. "Hello, citizens of Illea! Gavril here, bringing you the latest of Illea news! King Maxon and Queen America have returned, safe and sound. We are hiring more guards to protect the castle, and the castes. So sit tight and for your own safety, do not leave your house."

I tune out until I hear Gavril say, "Now, get ready to hear the inside scoop of what the king and queen have been going through."

Maxon and I look at each other and nod.

"Hello, Illea," Maxon says. "We have a... special announcement today, before we get to the kidnapping."

Smiling, I say, "Yes, a very special announcement. We'd like to say that..."

"We're having a baby!" we exclaim at the same time. I put a hand on my stomach. 

"We don't know if it's a girl or a boy, but in five months, you'll have a new prince or princess of Illea!" Maxon says, squeezing my hand.

"In other news," I continue, "we'd like to inform you on exactly what happened the night we were kidnapped."

Maxon adds, "Nothing really happened to me. My theory is that my queen saved my life."

That's not in the script.

I go on to explain that the Northern rebels are starting to stir things up, and citizens should be extra cautious. I don't tell them about the rebel that came into my room. I told them how my shoulder is hurt, but will heal.

And then The Report is over.

-

Do you like this story? Make sure to comment :)