Part 17

-ONE MONTH LATER-

I never knew someone could be so beautiful in a white dress until I saw her coming down the aisle as graceful as a queen.

Gwendolyn, my soon to be wife.

Gwendolyn, the girl I fell in love several months ago.

Gwendolyn, the girl who I'll grow old with and die loving.

The white dress is lined with lace and tight fitting around her body until her knees, where it flows out in elegant waves of fabric. Not to mention, the heels make her seem taller, even from a distance. Her dirty-blonde hair is tied up in a loose bun with curled strands falling down around her face. 

But the most beautiful thing of all?

Her smile. The smile she wears not only on her mouth, but in her eyes as well. When she smiles, she radiates happiness and joy into the air around her, infecting anyone nearby. I can't help but smile too, as her eyes meet mine.

It seems like the whole world has come to see us get married. The beautiful garden we're located in is filled with masses of people, all awed by Gwen's beauty. Her father, my parents, my siblings, her sister, and lots of girls who were in the Selection. The ones who did come were expecting Brooke to be standing in Gwen's place, but Brooke is sitting with them, smiling silently. 

It makes my stomach twist to think that Breanne was supposed to be walking down the aisle. She was supposed to be in the white dress, holding the bouquet of flowers. She was the bride I was supposed to kiss.

Though that's the case, I'm still in love with Gwen and no one's death will change that. 

Soon Gwen is standing in front of me, our hands tightly intertwined and our gazes meeting. I don't think either of us have stopped smiling once since she first walked through the gate.

The minister starts to speak, and when it's my turn to say my vows, I say them nice and loud.

"I do."

Gwen does the same. At first, I was expecting her to hesitate, or rethink the situation. But there was no hesitation in her eyes, no regrets; nothing except pure happiness.

Until I see a single tear slide from her left eye.

"Are you okay?" I whisper.

She nods, her lips breaking into another smile. "I can't believe this is happening."

"I love you," I whisper.

"I love you too."

"You may kiss the bride."

I don't wait for him to finish.

In one motion, I take Gwen into my arms and kiss her as passionately as I ever have. Memories of our times together flood through me. The times without commitment, the times where we could just be kids together.

"Now presenting Mr. and Mrs. Schreave, prince and princess of Illea!"

Gwen takes my hands and laughs as the crowd cheers for us.

It's official.

We're finally married.

-

"How's the married life?" my mother asks me, walking into my room without knocking. Almost having a heart attack, I bolt upright on my bed.

Letting out a breath, I say, "Different."

"How so?" She walks over and sits down on my bed. Her thick red hair is down on her shoulders. It looks like she just got a trim.

"So much more responsibility. You know, like commitment. I'm devoting my life to her now."

She nods. "Do you feel ready for this?"

"I didn't think I did before. But I have a feeling Gwen will struggle with it. So I guess we'll just get through it together." I laugh.

She laughs along with me, turning to face me. "Shouldn't you be in your new room with your wife? The maids worked extra hard to get that room ready for you two tonight."

I nod. "She told me to give her some time to get ready. And I came in here to give her more flowers." I hold up the bouquet of flowers lying next to me.

"Gerad, you seem nervous." She tilts her head, bringing a hand up to my shoulder. "I just want to say, marriage is hard to get used to. No more fooling around. And you are forced to have heir-"

"Okay Mom. Okay." I roll my eyes.

"I'm serious." Her tone hardens, her eyes narrow. "You don't understand yet, but you will. I feel like nineteen is too young to get married. Of course, being a prince, you have no choice. But you have your whole life ahead of you, and you're forced into a lifelong responsibility so young."

I nod along with her words. "I know what you mean."

"I'm supposed to be the queen and all, and that means I'm supposed to agree and support all the rules of Illea, but a part of me is still that girl who lived in Five before the Castes were eliminated." She smiles at me. "But remember, even with the whole new world you're about to enter... Don't lose yourself in all the chaos."

Grinning, I reply, "Don't worry. I won't."

She kisses my forehead. "Goodnight, darling." As she stands up and begins to walk out, she pauses by the doorway. "And go and be with your wife!"

"Okay Mom!" I exclaim, rushing out the door after her. My room is no longer the room I'll be sleeping in; I can keep some belongings in here, but I should be spending all my time in the giant room designed for the king and queen- which will be Gwen and I in the future.

For a moment, I stand by the door to our room. Should I knock? Or since it's also my room, is it okay to just walk in?

I decide to play it safe and knock. "Gwen? It's me."

Gwen opens the door within seconds. Before I can say a word, she presses her lips to mine and pulls me inside the room roughly, pushing me against the wall.

"It's so hard acting mature and royal in front of people all day," she says, smirking at me. "In case you were wondering, that'll never be the real me. I'm still in here." She laughs and I join her.

She's no longer wearing the wedding dress and most of her makeup has been removed. Her hair is messy but still just as beautiful as it was before.

Her nightgown is a dark maroon color and is a bit see through. I try to avoid staring, but after a while, I just can't take it. I push her all the way to our huge bed and press her down against the soft matress as she bites her lip and looks up at me.

We stay this way for who knows how long, and tonight we'll take it who knows how far.

-

Wow, Eve. Nice job keeping up with this. Sorry I haven't updated for two weeks, but since it's break right now, my parents decided to take my family on a surprise vacation to visit my cousins in Alabama. But now I'm back! :)

I'm planning to stay in Gerad's POV until the honeymoon is over and all that stuff, and then if you'd like I could switch back to America and Maxon's story.

I have some questions for you:

1. Should I continue with "The Second Choice" story I'm also writing?

2. Do you have any tips/suggestions for this story?

And lastly,

3. What is your favorite candy since Easter is tomorrow? (Idk man, I'm really into those Peeps.)

Have a good Easter! 

-Eve

P.S. I'M SO CLOSE TO 100,000 READS ON THIS STORY OMG I'M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!