Part 11

ATTENTION!! In the middle of writing this chapter, I realized I made a horrible mistake. Gwen cannot be an only child because then she couldn't be available to marry Gerad. She needs to be in line to take the British throne. FROM THIS MOMENT ON, GWEN HAS A LITTLE SISTER THAT CAME WITH HER FROM BRITAIN. 

I'll be fixing that up in my earlier chapters. :)

-

"Prince Gerad," one of my maids says gently, peeking into my bedroom. I've been awake for hours, writing on a small piece of paper the pros and cons of each girl.

Cons: Gwen seems like she's going to shatter my heart if I truly let her in. 
Pros: But she keeps me guessing; she's exciting.

Cons: Sadie is crazily emotional.
Pros: She's... I have nothing.

Cons: Brooke feels a connection to me, but I don't return the feeling.
Pros: She would make an excellent queen.

Sighing, I say, "Come in," and crumple the piece of paper. It didn't help at all.

"Your mother and father would like to speak with you in their office. Would you like me to go with you?" she asks, debating whether to smile at me.

"No thank you. I'll be all right," I reply, bowing my head to her and walking briskly out the door. My head is spinning. I haven't talked to them alone since Breanne's funeral. What could they want?

When I get there, my mother and father are grinning. They've always been less serious than I thought they should be, but I can't say that it doesn't make me happy to see them smiling like this.

"Gerad, we have good news!" my mother says, standing up quickly and rushing over to me. 

"America, you can tell him," my father says, laughing at my mother's excitement.

"Okay. So. Here's the deal. You seem to have taken a liking to our guest, Gwendolyn; am I correct?" she says, looking at my eagerly.

"Yes..." I murmur. "Why?"

"She's not participating in your Selection. BUT, we have found a way around that. In the Selection rules, you can't add a person in at the last minute, of course. But there's nothing stopping you from suspending the Selection until you've made up your mind. Keep Brooke and Sadie here, and you can just send both those girls home."

"I can't do that, Mom. They've tried so hard."

"Gerad, this is your life. Not theirs. When they get back home, they'll have guys crawling all over them."

"I think I have to send Sadie home, though. We had a fight. A bad one," I admit.

"But before you send her home you have to decide between Brooke and Gwendolyn," my father cuts in.

I look at him, my stomach in knots. "How?" I whisper. 

"Why can't you decide?" he asks.

"Brooke is such a sweet girl. She'd be the most amazing queen."

"But?"

"I don't feel anything real towards her."

"What about Gwen?" my mother asks.

"She's too unpredictable... I don't know her well enough yet. I've known Brooke for months and she's proven to be an amazing girl. I have no idea who Gwen really is." My throat is tight, dry. I feel sick.

"If you have to send Sadie home, you're going to have to admit to both girls that you don't know who you want to pick, and you'll have to tell Brooke that her and Gwen will now be competing. Can you do that?" my father says, concerned.