Part 4

I tell myself it doesn't matter. But deep down inside me, I know it does. Will he be disappointed in me? Will he shake his head and say, "You're better than this"? I can already imagine the judgmental look in his eyes.

I shake my head. Aspen is in love with Lucy. He told me himself he doesn't love me anymore - not the way he used to. But he could still be disappointed.

"What are you thinking about, my dear?" Maxon asks, looking into my eyes. Should I tell him? Should I not?

"Oh... I'm just thinking about who to tell."

"I'm sure everyone will be happy for you," he says, smiling.

"Even if they aren't, it doesn't matter. I'm happy, and you're happy, so it doesn't matter what people think." I close my eyes peacefully.

"I love -"

He's cut off my a bang on our door. I gasp and Maxon lets go of me. I scramble out of bed.

"Who is it?" Maxon yells.

"It's Aspen - ah, Officer Leger!" Aspen calls back. "You have to follow me immediately. We're under attack."

Maxon grabs me by the elbow and leads me out the door, following Aspen, but not before grabbing guns from the hiding spot under our bed for the terrifying possibility that an enemy makes it all the way to our room. He holds one and offers the other to me. I take it, and load it, hoping I won't have to use the skills I was taught once I was chosen. A queen must know how to defend herself, I suppose.

When rounding a corner to get to the safe room, I trip over my dress and fall to the ground with a grunt. Maxon and Aspen double back looking for me, but by the time they reach me, I'm already being dragged away by a rebel.

I try to shoot him, but my aim is off. As a response, he grabs me by my shooting arm and twists, which sends pain down my whole body. The gun clatters to the ground, but the rebel doesn't stop to pick it up.

I scream for Maxon or Aspen but the rebel shoots behind me, at them. Now, I change my screams from pleas for help to orders for them to get to the safe room. I won't put them in danger trying to help me.

Thinking fast, I trip the man while he is distracted. He stumbles back, surprised, and I take advantage of that moment to scramble for my gun. Getting a hold of it, I immediately aim it at his head, backing him up against a wall.

"What do you want with me?" I hiss.

The man looks terrified. "I... I don't know, Your Majesty. I-I got o-orders to take you as prisoner."

"From who?"

"My boss, ma'am."

"Which is?" I yell.

"Officer Brown," he says, tears in his eyes. "Please have mercy. Don't kill me."

I sigh. "Give me your gun," I say forcefully.

He throws his gun to the ground willingly. 

I look back at Maxon and Aspen, who have encountered their own group of rebels. There seem to be no other guards around, and they're clearly in need of help.

"Stay here until you can't see me anymore. And after that, you get the hell out of this palace and never come back. Do you understand me?"

"Yes, my Queen."

"If I see you again, you're dead," I say, turning around to help the boys. Once I start walking, I break into a run.

I sneak around the corner and start shooting at everyone that isn't the king or the guard. That gives Maxon and Aspen time to get their bearings and start shooting them as well. My arm is still a little sore from where the rebel twisted it, but I do my best to ignore it.

Soon, all the rebels in this group are lying on the floor, dead or wounded. We burst into a run, desperately trying to get to the safe room.

Once we get there, Aspen mutters, "I have to go. Stay in here, you two. There will be guards with you any second. They will knock once, twice, and then four times. You let them in."

I nod.

As Aspen leaves, Maxon stares at me blankly, clearly in shock.

"What you did back there was amazing," he says.

I'm about to say thank you when my stomach starts churning again. I sit with my back against the wall, one hand on my stomach and one on my head.

Maxon sits next to me. "America, you'll be all right. Try not to think about the pain."

I peer up at him, a look of realization crossing my face. "Where's my family?"

He looks frightened. "I... I don't know. Usually they come to this safe room, but..."

I feel ready to scream. "Where are they?"

"They must be in another safe room. Maybe it was easier to get them there." He swallows nervously. "I'm sure they're safe."

Trying to focus on something positive, I remember the one night in the safe room where all Maxon's trust and feelings came pouring out. And mine, too.

I gesture for Maxon to lay down next to me on the cold, hard floor.

"Just like old times," he says.

I nod and whisper back to him, "Just like old times."