Part 16

Since there were no houses for sale near the palace, we decided to build one for Aspen and Lucy. It took a long time and a lot of work, but we did it. Now, there's a beautiful, sky blue house near the palace. It's not very big, but it's just how they wanted it. 

They don't know whether they're going to have children yet. But if they decide to, which I'm sure they will, the house will be big enough. 

Maxon and I help them pack and move. I'm happy for them, but something has been troubling me.

Aspen's sad eyes after they said they were moving.

Did I imagine it? Or is Aspen still feeling something for me?

I am over Aspen. I'm all Maxon's. But what is Aspen feeling?

He hasn't really talked to me since that night. I wish I knew why. Maybe I'll talk to him today, since we're pretty much done moving Aspen and Lucy into their house.

As if he could read my thoughts, Aspen walks over to me, taking the box I was carrying out of my hands. I look up at him, confused.

Voice low, he says, "I need to talk to you. Where can we go?"

I quickly look at Maxon, who meets my eyes. I mouth, "I'll be right back" and walk with Aspen outside. Maxon looks confused. I'll have to tell him about this later.

"What do you want?" I ask impatiently. I don't like this. This feels wrong.

He sighs. "Hear me out. Okay?"

I nod. 

He continues, "I regret letting you go."

"Aspen. Stop. You're Lucy's husband-"

"I said, hear me out." I close my mouth and let him continue. "I love Lucy. She's a great girl. But you... you make me feel-"

He's cut off. By a gun shot. He crumples to the ground. I scream and race inside. I hear more gun shots, but none of them connect. I assume they were trying to kill me, but missed, and hit Aspen. 

Maxon runs at me. "America? What's wrong? I hear gun shots- are you okay?"

Lucy screams, "Where's Aspen?"

I shake my head, tears streaming down my face. She shrieks and falls to her knees.

"Lucy," I hiss. "There are people out here, trying to kill us. We need to get back to the palace."

Lucy, still sobbing, and I follow Maxon. He's almost running.

"Maxon, where are we going?" I ask anxiously.

"We had a special tunnel built in this house. Just in case something like this happened," he replies. I sigh in relief. 

Suddenly, I feel Lucy's arm fall away from mine. I spin around. She's trying to scream, but they've put a gag on her mouth. Without thinking, I race back and kick and punch her captor. "Let her go!" I scream. Maxon comes back to help. 

Before I know what's happening, more people have broken into the house and tied Maxon and me to chairs. We are gagged, and our chairs are back to back so we can't see each other. I try to struggle against the ropes, but nothing works. 

"You better stop struggling," one man says. He paces next to our chairs. "Or I will split your throat right now."

I stop struggling. Another guy comes up to me. He rips the gag off my mouth. 

"We aren't Northern or Southern rebels," he starts. "We're a whole new group that wants you gone."

"Why?" I ask, unable to contain myself.