Part 1: America and Maxon continuation

Hey everyone! Hope you all had a good holiday!!

Just as a reminder, we're back to America's POV! Enjoy!

---

*FOUR YEARS SINCE AMBERLY'S WEDDING*

When I first returned from England, things were somewhat tense between Maxon and me. He had been nothing but sweet and loving towards me, but I knew there was a part of him that was still hurting from my departure and the way we left things. How I left him, alone, to handle Amberly's selection.

But I knew our love was still passionate and as beautiful as it always was, and I knew Maxon isn't the type to give up on anyone or anything, especially me and our relationship.

And now, things are better than ever. Although Gerad and Gwen went back to England, they visit as often as they can. Same with Logan and Ashlyn, who go back and forth between the two countries. My heart is so full when all of us are in the same place at the same time, and it's clear that Maxon feels the exact same way.

For the two of us, though, or relationship grows stronger every single day. We have been teaching Amberly and Xander the ins and outs of being the King and Queen, and they are excellent learners. They will make amazing and fair rulers for the people of Illèa.

And now that our children are all grown up, we have much more time to spend just with the two of us. Although we still have many responsibilities as King and Queen, we're able to share the workload with all of our advisors and now our children.

As I soak up the early morning sunshine, deep in my thoughts, I feel Maxon's gentle hand on my shoulder. "Good morning, my dear," he whispers, to which I let out a small laugh.

"Good morning my love," I reply as I turn around to kiss him on the cheek. "How'd you sleep?"

He smiles and sits down next to me. "I can't complain. Although, you were up very early this morning. Could you not sleep?"

"I just wanted to come over here and read some before starting the day." I take his hand in mine. "I'm glad you're up, though. I was thinking about something."

His eyes meet mine, and he raises his eyebrows at my mysterious grin. "What is it?"

"We should go somewhere. Outside the palace. Like our honeymoon, almost, except twenty years later." I pause to read his expression, but he gestures for me to go on. "I would just love to go away with you, just for a little while. Besides, Amberly and Xander are so good at their responsibilities so far, and I think it would be really good for them to get a taste of what it's really like ruling."

He laughs and squeezes my hand. "I love that idea. Where were you thinking?"

"I haven't thought much about it yet-"

"You know what? I have just the place. Let's leave tomorrow, shall we? I'll let your maids know to pack your things. You are going to love it!"

I giggle as he jumps to his feet, bringing me up with him. His wide grin reminds me of when I first got to know him, when we were so young, so free. 

Maxon has aged much more than 20 years since his selection, since his parents died, since we became the crowned King and Queen. Being thrown into ruling took its toll on him, and I see it wear on him every day. Becoming a father lifted some of that weight, I believe, but that also came with an extra set of responsibilities. His unwavering strength and determination has inspired me constantly since we met, more and more so every day.

When half of his family left the country, I know how badly he must've hurt. How hard it must've been for him. The toll that alone took on his mind and body. I sensed it when I returned - that he had aged another 5 years in the short time we had been gone.